We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Solmar, Playa Grande or The Ridge

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
reviews: 4
Grand Solmar, Playa Grande or The Ridge

My husband and I will be staying '7' nights in Cabo in mid December. I keep reading all the reviews for the Grand Solmar, Playa Grande, and The Ridge and I am having a hard time deciding between them. We would like a place with a nice comfy bed, more adult oriented, heated, no hassle getting chaises at pool, lovely view, within walking distance to the town. I was wondering if we should divide our time between the Grand Solmar and The Ridge or just stay all week at one of them and if so, which one would you suggest?

Of course I am open to other resort options within the $200 - $300 per night range.

As always, thank you to everyone who responds. I really appreciate it.

12 replies to this topic
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 31
1. Re: Grand Solmar, Playa Grande or The Ridge

Personally-moving mid week is inconvient I think, so I'd pick one..........and since you are looking at resorts all in one basic, convenient area, I think I would consider any possible disruption from the construction at the GS...........it is beautiful, quiet, plenty of lounges, etc., but depending on where your room was, you could possibly have some noise. Those that stay there will have good advice on that. My little place is at the Beach Club section, but even there I've never had problems finding a good spot at the pools :)

Beds in Mexico, for the most part, seem to all be 'firm'.........but not uncomfortable any longer.

I've not stayed on the Ridge, but it seems people either love it or don't like it. I prefer the 'lower forty' at Playa Grande, as I like sleeping to the sounds of the Pacific pounding the shore. My PG week is the end of Nov./early Dec. and I find the weather to be wonderful then.........less windy than May........though last Dec. we did have a day of incredible rain!!!!!!!! That was not the norm though!

The PG units are all very nice, though not as plush as GS........and the views from The Ridge are amazing! It is just my preference to not be so close to the City sounds and lights.

Kelowna, Canada
reviews: 27
2. Re: Grand Solmar, Playa Grande or The Ridge

Playa Grande has quite the children's activities so more adult orientated will be the other two. The Grand Solmar has "adult only" areas and if you really want that , you can. GS also has a private section but you pay a little extra. You will have no trouble finding chaises at the pool. The beds are new and very nice.The view is spectacular as you are on the Pacific and the waves crash all day and night. All you see is beach and water , you will not even see town. You are minutes to the Marina (about 10) and it's connected to everything you will ever need. It takes about half an hour to walk all the way around where you will hit Medano Beach. That is where the beach bars are and you can swim in the Sea of Cortez. OR , you can walk down the street and stay off the marina where you will find shopping , restaurants and bars all over for block after block.

I am biased always staying at GS so that would be my pick. The staff are excellent and very happy to help with anything you need. The food is amazing too but pretty pricey. Beware the timeshare sales pitch. Not sure your take on that but do some research on this site about the sneaky ways they will try to trick you into buying , like all resorts. Refuse the presentation or go enjoy the meal and tour but don't get suckered in. There are so many places to buy for less or rent. You will love GS if you decide it's right for you. Words can't describe it's beauty..........have a great trip !!!!!

Edited: 2:59 pm, July 10, 2013
Colorado Springs...
reviews: 9
3. Re: Grand Solmar, Playa Grande or The Ridge

To choose between those three definately depends on what you like...I stay at Playa Grande, we love it there. We normally don't have any issues getting chairs by the pool, but then again we go down early and usually leave at lunch. Trying to get a seat in the afternoons can be tough though. I've toured the ridge but the pool has the kids slide etc, not sure if that idicates there could be more kids up there or not. I've never stayed on the ridge because I'd rather have the view and sounds of the ocean, not the city/marina. GS is newer than PG or the Ridge, still like my PG. :)

Bay Area, CA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 34
4. Re: Grand Solmar, Playa Grande or The Ridge

If you're looking for a quieter place to stay, and no issues getting a lounge chair, then stay at Grand Solmar. I own at both Playa Grande and Grand Solmar and, based on what you said was important to you, I'd recommend Grand Solmar over Playa Grande.

Besides, if you stay at Grand Solmar, you can use the Playa Grande (but not Ridge) facilities. If you stay at Playa Grande, you cannot use the Grand Solmar facilities.

Florida
5. Re: Grand Solmar, Playa Grande or The Ridge

Wow - thanks everyone - based on your comments it will either be Grand Solmar or Playa Grande. I lean toward GS but it appears the PG is half the cost. So trying to determine if GS is worth the additional $ to convince hubby :) Again, thanks so much!

Florida
6. Re: Grand Solmar, Playa Grande or The Ridge

One other question - does either the GS or the PG have a heated pool?

Simi Valley...
reviews: 7
7. Re: Grand Solmar, Playa Grande or The Ridge

Just got back and there is major construction going on at Grand Solmar right now. Not sure when they'll be finished up.

You don't really hear it when you're in your unit, (never woken up by it) but if you're in the units overlooking the pools, it's loud enough that you wouldn't want to be out on your balcony. When you're in the main pools in the center, it's mostly drowned out by the waves, and if you use the sunset pool on the north end, you can't hear it at all. But depending on your sensitivity to noise, it might bother you. I'm from L.A., and work in Hollywood, so it's relatively quiet to me. It does go on 5 1/2 days a week from sunrise to sunset, with a few workers (masonry, stonework) going on until 10 pm or so.

GS has 5 heated pools. One for adults only. All are infinity pools and watching the power of the waves breaking on the beach (don't even try swimming, let alone wading in that surf) from them is incredible.

Drink and food service is available, and also swim-up bars.

GS is a beautiful resort. Top-notch, great friendly service and we wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Location is walking distance to most of town.

The timeshare people weren't too pesky. One 5 minute presentation when we first arrived by the "hostess/concierge" with some discount offers, but nothing after that.

-Steve

Edited: 6:17 pm, July 22, 2013
Bay Area, CA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 34
8. Re: Grand Solmar, Playa Grande or The Ridge

Have you checked redweek.com? Not sure where you're planning to rent the room, but that is your best bet for the least expensive PG & GS rentals.

Flat Rock, Michigan
reviews: 2
9. Re: Grand Solmar, Playa Grande or The Ridge

Currently on Redweek there are 1 bedroom units at Playa Grande for as little as $850 per week, mid Dec.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 31
10. Re: Grand Solmar, Playa Grande or The Ridge

Wow! I guess I should have asked a little more for my Dec. 1 bdrm. at PG! Oh well............would rather be using it myself for sure. :(

Just got the news letter and it seems they are going to monitor pool lounges..........leave your things, a card is left w/the time-an hour later, your things are taken to the towel 'shack'........now, I agree, hogging lounges is the pits, but if you are having lunch, it could take an hour easily.........so a person would probably want to just take their things when they go, instead of being able to just go eat and return.

Reply to: Grand Solmar, Playa Grande or The Ridge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted