We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rentals - Are they really this cheap??

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Car rentals - Are they really this cheap??

I just did a search for car rentals for my vacation in late October (via Hotwire and Kayak) and they are showing up as $5 PER DAY! Is this seriously true? Or will we be hit with additional fees and charges when we actually arrive in Mexico?

14 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 56
1. Re: Car rentals - Are they really this cheap??

With required insurance, expect to pay $25 - $50 per day.

Anacortes...
reviews: 13
2. Re: Car rentals - Are they really this cheap??

No - rental cars are not that cheap. There is a mandatory Mexican liability insurance that can add $20 a day or more to the cost.

Before you rent, you need to read the article about rental cars under the top questions on the upper right of the screen. But make sure you're on a real computer - it won't show up on mobiles.

My favorites are Cactus, Alamo and Dominic. I've rented from them all and you can't go wrong with any of them.

Have a great trip!!

Edited: 10:51 am, July 10, 2013
Bay Area, CA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 34
3. Re: Car rentals - Are they really this cheap??

I agree... my favorites are Alamo, Cactus & Dominic as well. Those three are the ones most used by the forumites. People who use the other car rental places seem to encounter a lot of problems. So, we tend to stick with the ones that are tried and true.

sacramento
4. Re: Car rentals - Are they really this cheap??

I recently seen cars through the travel zoo super search for as low as $5 a day..so add the mandatory insurance than it is possible that they are that cheap.

sacramento
5. Re: Car rentals - Are they really this cheap??

I wondered the same..On travel zoo super search, a number of agencies at airport had cars as low as $5 per day. So add the mandatory insurance, seems it can possibly be that cheap.

Brentwood...
reviews: 2
6. Re: Car rentals - Are they really this cheap??

I would SERIOUSLY reconsider using any car rental agency other than the 3 listed above, dozens of us here have used them and all are tried and verified and if you want inexpensive then use Antonio at Cactus. If you need verification just search on rental cars or something similar on this forum and you will see MANY threads from upset and duped tourists who used other agencies and were either given a huge price increase when they got to the counter in Cabo or scammed in some other way. Mexico is no place to take chances with rental cars so use others at your own risk. These 3 will give you a quote as well as excellent service and when all is said and done that will be exactly what you pay.

Bay Area, CA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 34
7. Re: Car rentals - Are they really this cheap??

What SherriffJoe has said is the honest truth. People who book through internet travel websites are always "surprised" when they show up in Cabo and find out that the quoted price will not be honored. Even though we told them it'd happen. So, if you still decide to book off of an internet travel site after reading this thread, then please be sure to at least have a back-up plan in place, just in case.

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 5
8. Re: Car rentals - Are they really this cheap??

Since you were smart enough to check here on TA BEFORE your rental booking, take the advice given. Lots of people have booked on the internet sights and then come back to post for the first time how awful the company was and how they got scammed. These are tried and true reputable. We all have our favorites of these three for different reasons..but these are the best choices for a scam free/trouble free decision

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
9. Re: Car rentals - Are they really this cheap??

Thanks for all the replies! We will be sure to use either Cactus, Alamo or Dominic.

Carrentals.com is showing Alamo economy cars at $78/week ($95 with taxes). My husband and I have full coverage on both of our cars at home and the policy covers us in rental cars. Do we need to get the Collision Damage Coverage for an additional $84 for this rental? When we rented cars in Hawaii, Arizona and Barbados we never paid for this additional coverage. But it's mandatory in Mexico?

Brentwood...
reviews: 2
10. Re: Car rentals - Are they really this cheap??

Yes it is, its called Mexican liability, its required in Mexico and you wont be able to rent without it, all 3 of the 3 above will include this in your quote, also be sure to ask for the TA discounted rate to get the best prices

Reply to: Car rentals - Are they really this cheap??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted