We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy fresh fish and price average

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
reviews: 21
Where to buy fresh fish and price average

If my group decide to not go fishing, I would like to know where can I buy a Dorado fresh off the sea. I don't know of any places where I can go buy one 15+ lbs.

If anyone ever bought a fresh Dorado from a market, could you please where you bought it and how much money did they charge you for it?

Thank you

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 69
1. Re: Where to buy fresh fish and price average

I would just go to the marina in the afternoon when the charter boats come in. Some of the boats catch more than they can possibly eat. Someone would sell or give you a fish !

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 6
2. Re: Where to buy fresh fish and price average

Without a doubt...this place is the best! Read my walking tour...and check out the video that I did...you can see all the fresh fish, and my meal in the attached restaurant. This is where the restaurants go to buy their fish to serve...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g152515-i84-k61156…

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 36
3. Re: Where to buy fresh fish and price average

As suggested I'd go to the fish clean out station at the end of the Marina, it's where all the fish are hauled in large red barrels on dolly's to clean after the boats pull in. It's just a few yards past the cruise ship dock. If a guy is standing there having a few good size fish cleaned offer to buy one off him, most of the time a lot of the fish is given away to the crew and locals as the tourists can't haul that much fish to the restaurant that night and have no place to keep it at their hotels.

Eagle River, Alaska
reviews: 6
4. Re: Where to buy fresh fish and price average

I was in the new Mega Store a couple of weeks ago and their fish market was pretty awesome. There an amazing variety and the whole fish were definitely fresh (clear, bright eyes and smelling of the ocean). If you don't have any luck at the Marina, this may be an option for you.....

San Diego...
5. Re: Where to buy fresh fish and price average

Thanks for the input

Colorado
reviews: 2
6. Re: Where to buy fresh fish and price average

Also - Misiones de Kinos does an awesome job of cooking the fish - much better than the typical - blacken, fried and bakes. They use many different sauces that are amazing....just saying!!!

San Diego...
7. Re: Where to buy fresh fish and price average

@bwask How much $$ should I offer someone for a fresh cleaned fish?

I want to get an idea of prices, so I know I'm offering enough money, and not being too cheap or overpaying for it. Thank you

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 36
8. Re: Where to buy fresh fish and price average

Luis, tough question. I think it really depends upon the situation, meaning if its a tourist that has a lot of fish with no means to keep it fresh and too much to eat it could be close to free. I would think a fair price for dorado fillets would be around $5 a lb. Again consider a lot of the fish that tourists can't keep are just given to crew or the guys at the fish clean out.

Olympia, Washington
reviews: 11
9. Re: Where to buy fresh fish and price average

I agree with Judy that the fish market at Ocampo and Alikan is the best. Inquire a few days ahead about what they may be getting in. It is a good morning walk from the Solmar beach, about 35 minutes. This necessitates a cold one on the way back with your iced fish in hand. We usually get lots of shrimp. They will cook it for you. They have a good variety of clams etc. If you go up the side streets you can see the neighborhoods, so the dogs can fake charge you.

San Diego...
10. Re: Where to buy fresh fish and price average

Thank you @bwask for the tips on offering to buy from someone.

I think I may try that, or go to CaboMar.

Everyone in my group is choosing not to go beacuse of the seasick situation, and I don't really want to share a boat with others to avoid conflicts, or pehaps I get sick and ruin it for everyone.

But I still want to get fish cooked in my resort. I looked at the link shared by @TravelJudy and you can choose a lot of fishes. Perhaps I just buy a big Red Snapper or Sea Bass instead. Dorado is my preference always because I caught it myself before, and we had a big Fiesta with it.