We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timeshares on second-hand market

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bay Area, CA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 34
Timeshares on second-hand market

Every now and then I check the timeshare listings on eBay. I know that we forumites who own timeshares always recommend that if someone is going to purchase a Cabo timeshare, that they do it on the second-hand market, like eBay.

So now, we need to make sure that when we do recommend that to people, that they be extra careful. This morning I saw a post on eBay for a "Casa Dorada at Medano Beach" timeshare. I checked it out because you rarely see them on eBay since the resort is still relatively new.

Well, guess what? Although the ad appears as though it is for a CDMB timeshare, if you read the 'fine print', it is actually a Globequest Membership! Wow, those timeshare "club" sharks are really getting sneaky.

Just wanted to give all my fellow TS owners a heads up that we need to be extra careful the next time we give out advice to people who are looking to buy a Cabo timeshare on the second-hand market.

Anacortes...
reviews: 4
1. Re: Timeshares on second-hand market

DM, thanks for the advice. I have been recommending to friends to buy a resale. I'll pass on your Globequest caution. There is probably a lot of these deceptive ads out there. Sneaky bastards.

Thanks

Win

Kelowna, Canada
reviews: 27
2. Re: Timeshares on second-hand market

Good to know......I guess it still stands that you need to "read" everything that is on whatever it is you are buying from/signing/whatever. Like you said , it was there if you read it........Thanks DM.

Brentwood...
reviews: 2
3. Re: Timeshares on second-hand market

though reading it through beer goggles could still be an issue! : )

4. Re: Timeshares on second-hand market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:14 pm, July 02, 2014
Fresno, California
reviews: 27
5. Re: Timeshares on second-hand market

indeed indeed

Texarkana, Arkansas
reviews: 11
6. Re: Timeshares on second-hand market

I have keeping my eyes open for a timeshare on redweek.com. Thank you for the post. I know to use caution but that let's me know to be extra careful.

Washington DC
reviews: 1
7. Re: Timeshares on second-hand market

Go through redweek.com...also can use listings as a bargaining chip to haggle prices at timeshare presentation...or as an exit strategy.

8. Re: Timeshares on second-hand market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 am, July 10, 2013
Indianapolis...
reviews: 19
9. Re: Timeshares on second-hand market

I bought a Casa Dorada timeshare on Ebay earlier this year. Or, so I thought. The listing was by a broker who has many positive ratings. The listing itemized all the costs, i.e. broker fee and transfer fee. When they sent me the escrow statement and asked for my credit card # to charge, there was an extra fee which was the seller's 2013 maintenance fee. I called the broker and asked them about it and they said the buyer always reimbursed the seller for the current paid fee. I don't know if this is true or not (comment, anyone?) but I told them I would not pay this fee since it was not detailed in the listing. They said OK and sent a new statement without the fee, after which I paid them.

After more than two months of waiting for signing docs from the seller, and the broker saying they were waiting on the seller to return them, I cancelled the transaction and asked for my money back, which I promptly received. I ended up being out nothing, but wasted a lot of time and effort pursuing this. My quess as to what happened is that the seller was counting on getting the maintenance fee, the broker forgot to list it in the ad, and then the seller refused to go through with the deal without it.

So, what I learned from my Ebay timeshare experience was to only deal with known companies that have a lot of positive feedback to protect, and to read the posting carefully and hold the seller accountable for delivering exactly what was promised.

Bay Area, CA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 34
10. Re: Timeshares on second-hand market

Mike C - Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad you were able to get your money back. I agree 100% with everything you said.