We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with Minor (not my child) to Mexico

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 1
Traveling with Minor (not my child) to Mexico

As a gift to my niece for her HS graduation, i am taking her and a friend to Cabo in the end of June. I own a time share at the Grand Solmar and Playa and have been there several times. My niece is 18, but her friend is only 17. I have read on other sites, that there may be issues with getting her into Mexico, because she is not traveling with her parents. Does anybody know of or have experienced any issue?

23 replies to this topic
Bay Area, CA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 34
1. Re: Traveling with Minor (not my child) to Mexico

Yes, my sister & I took our niece and her friend to Cabo with us. Obviously, she will need a Passport. Additionally, you will need a notarized letter that both of her parents (or legal guardians) have signed. It would also be helpful if her parents accompanied you to the airport during check-in, in case the Airline has any issues with accepting the documentation (notarized letter).

If you know what airline you'll be on, call them and find out EXACTLY what the requirements are. Each airline is slightly different. The notarized paper will be needed for both the airline AND Mexico Customs.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
reviews: 47
2. Re: Traveling with Minor (not my child) to Mexico

It is also important to get a notarized letter from BOTH parents saying that in case medical attention is needed, you have their permission to make decisions on their behalf.

Pennsylvania
reviews: 12
3. Re: Traveling with Minor (not my child) to Mexico

We are raising our grandchildren and travel out of the country with them fairly often. We always take the necessary legal documents that explains the difference in names and our legal guardianship and not once have we been asked for them. It just makes good sense to be prepared :-) The above advice was right on....just don't be surprised if no one questions you. Enjoy!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 6
4. Re: Traveling with Minor (not my child) to Mexico

Lori...your profile shows no country reference. Are you from the USA...or from Canada? Both have rules...and then I can help you with what is needed.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 31
5. Re: Traveling with Minor (not my child) to Mexico

Was going to mention that also Judy!

Have a good time, and what a lovely gift!

Markham, Canada
reviews: 8
6. Re: Traveling with Minor (not my child) to Mexico

My daughter is 16 and has a canadian passport. Do i need a notarized letter?

Vancouver BC
reviews: 2
7. Re: Traveling with Minor (not my child) to Mexico

@DANHILSMIT

If your daughter is not also accompanied on the trip by the other parent at the same time I think it is recommended to have a notarized letter from the other parent. The airline you are travelling on may not even let you board the plane without it.

Midwest
reviews: 10
8. Re: Traveling with Minor (not my child) to Mexico

Better safe than sorry. When we took my stepdaughter when she was a minor, her mom signed off (notarized) for us to take her out of the country. I believe I found a sample letter on the US foreign travel? page.

She was 16--they never asked for it, in Mexico or US, but we felt more comfortable having it!

Washingtonville, NY
reviews: 1
9. Re: Traveling with Minor (not my child) to Mexico

We took a letter like that to the Bahamas several years ago, but no one asked for it. We take our kids' friends on vacation with us every year and we have never been asked for a letter. We took kids under 18 twice to Cabo, and didn't have a problem. We do always have a letter for In Case of Emergency, so we can make decisions on the parents' behalf. Also if the child takes medication, has allergies to anything, etc. Name, d.o.b., copy of insurance card, parents' phone numbers, etc. If you want to bring the notarized letter, you're better safe than sorry, but we haven't had a problem in or out of the US.

Queretaro, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Queretaro
reviews: 7
10. Re: Traveling with Minor (not my child) to Mexico

From January 2014 the letter must be officially translated into Spanish and legalized by your nearest Mexican consulate.

Reply to: Traveling with Minor (not my child) to Mexico
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted