We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CONCERNS re: shakedowns from police

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland
reviews: 3
CONCERNS re: shakedowns from police

We are going to be arriving this weekend and staying in Cabo. We are seasoned travelers. We were planning on renting a vehicle to explore up both coasts. Day tripping to Todos Santos and possibly driving across Baja to go to another small town then back to Cabo. I realize that this type of police activity is not new, we actually had been stopped in Cancun several years ago while renting jeeps for "speeding" (which we weren't). Anyway, I am concerned by some responses that this is happening more frequently now. Is it really as risky as is sounds from all of the responses? Any new "to do's or not to do's if we pulled over for "no apparent reason?" Thanks.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 49
1. Re: CONCERNS re: shakedowns from police

We were in Cabo last month and are leaving for Cabo again this Saturday. We will also be in Cabo during the T/A Fishing Tourney in Oc.t/Nov. All of these reports are very saddening and scary! We will still have a good time and not let the terrible incidents consume us! We try to use common sense when out at night and will take a taxi back to our hotel at night! We've been going to Cabo for many years now and have only just recently heard of incidents with the police as those mentioned! I sure hope it isn't getting worse as we really like Cabo and have gained many friends that live there! So I guess in closing I hope everyone going to Cabo has a fun, relaxing and good time with no worries and incident free vacation! Many folks on this forum are like family and when something happens to family it's very really hits home!

Hughson, California
reviews: 9
2. Re: CONCERNS re: shakedowns from police

Been to Cabo several time and always rent a car. We love to venture out up the coast lines & around town. We've never had any issues with the police and hope that continues. IMO using common sense and being very mindful of surrounds and time of day can assist in being an "incident free" vaca. Love Cabo! And hope it continues to love us back.

Olympia, Washington
reviews: 11
3. Re: CONCERNS re: shakedowns from police

You are aware of the historical problems in Cancun and south. The issues in Cabo are nothing like that situation, which has the US consulate constantly involved. These last few in Cabo seem to be quite unusual. If you get asked for a traffic "donation" request to speak to the superior at the station to pay the ticket. Nothing more.

Altoona, Iowa
reviews: 5
4. Re: CONCERNS re: shakedowns from police

I agree with Canamerican completely. These reports are certainly unsettling. I will keep my eye on these topics as our October trip approaches. We won't cancel but we may have to rethink how we vacation while we are there. I hate to say it but if I have to start contantly watching over my shoulder while innocently trying to have a good time on vacay ( in an area we LOVE) this may be our last trip to Cabo.

KKMLUVCABO - I think what is so unsettling is that we are hearing #1 from folks we know and trust from the forum. #2 a significant increase in these kinds of reports. It is starting to seem like being aware of your surroundings and common sense might not cut it. Cabo has got to get this under control - immediately!

Not happy about all of this :(

Anacortes...
reviews: 13
5. Re: CONCERNS re: shakedowns from police

I don't think this is anything new - it's just been awhile since anyone has brought it up on the forum. Several years ago it was suggested to carry 2 wallets. One with an expired drivers license and $20 and that's the one you pull out if you are ever stopped by the police. That's what I do. But knock on wood - I've never had to use it.

Vancouver BC
reviews: 2
6. Re: CONCERNS re: shakedowns from police

One to do that I can think of is to check your rental vehicle's trunk, under the seats, and the engine area to make sure that there are no strange package's in the vehicle that might have any connection to drugs. This would be a pre caution against being set up.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 36
7. Re: CONCERNS re: shakedowns from police

You probably have a better chance of winning the lotto, unless you are buying drugs or driving crazy. Enjoy your trip! The sky is not falling in Cabo.

cabo
reviews: 1
8. Re: CONCERNS re: shakedowns from police

Thanks bwask. Maybe not quite lotto odds, but the perspective is appreciated :) Sky not falling indeed.

Sincerely..... Henny Penny, Ducky Lucky, Goosey Loosey, Turkey Lurkey and Foxy Loxy

Tacoma, Wash
reviews: 10
9. Re: CONCERNS re: shakedowns from police

"Foxy Loxy"? Did someone call me? Lol:))

Cabo is safer than most places I have travelled to.... Go and enjoy!!

Queretaro, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Queretaro
reviews: 11
10. Re: CONCERNS re: shakedowns from police

"a significant increase in these kinds of reports" - yes, the reports are increasing but that doesn't mean the activity is. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't - we can't tell just from reports. (Most people think there is more violence in Mexico now than before but actually it's less than it was 12 years ago - but it's reported a heck of a lot more!) This partcular type of activity is targeted almost exclusively at tourists and in tourist areas and I find it unimaginable that it can't be stopped. When cops are caught they lose their jobs and just move to the next municipio and get a police job there - THEY SHOULD GO TO JAIL!