We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

holiday phone

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
misson hills, ca
reviews: 16
holiday phone

I was just checking out a website called holidayphone.com. what they do is send you a sim card for your phone that allows you to keep your cell # and use it while traveling. It's a flat fee of $54 and change for 1 hour talk time while in Mexico. You can add 1gb of data for another $15. Compared to what I've spent in the past using my phone, this is pretty good, so I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience using this company?

54 replies to this topic
Glenlyon, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
reviews: 34
31. Re: holiday phone

..and just to add to my comment above about organised spam.

Post number 12....amazing how a man on one day can be living in Gilbertsville PA and make his comments yet, on the wen link below the exact same comment word for word was made by a gentleman living 55 Klms away in Elkin Park PA one day earlier.....must live in a mobile home.

Read the bottom comment ( under the main complaint).

pissedconsumer.com/reviews-by-company/holida…

Norwood, New Jersey
reviews: 30
32. Re: holiday phone

I just got 2 SIM cards from Holiday Phone for my Verizon iPhone 5--one for Italy and one for Croatia. They work perfectly, and the customer service from Holiday Phone is AMAZING!! I had a slight problem with my Croatian one earlier this morning. I emailed them, and within 5 minutes, they wrote back, saying they'd contact the local carrier to try to help me. Within 10 minutes, I got a text message with instructions to fix the problem.

I can't imagine using another SIM card company on future international travels.

New Orleans...
reviews: 4
33. Re: holiday phone

I'm glad you had success. My experience was just the opposite. Couldn't connect to the network was the problem on 2 unlocked Samsung Galaxy S II's. Phones didn't work and Holidayphone said they couldn't help.

From my research there are other customers that experienced the same problem I had. If anyone is willing to take a chance with them and don't mind paying for a service that may not work. Have at it.

Celina, Texas
reviews: 3
34. Re: holiday phone

I bought a Holiday Phone SIM for Ireland. Had many of the same problems as noted in earlier posts. No connection to the internet. Very intermittent coverage of the network they provided. No local support - only texting which isn't very helpful. Welcoming texts and voice mail intro are in a foreign language. I was traveling in Ireland but the SIM was registered in Austria. My phone is an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S3 Captivate and works fine in the USA on ATT network.

Follow the recommendations to buy a SIM in country from a local network provider. I had two phones, one with HolidayPHone Sim and one with an in-country SIM. Had no problems with the in-country SIM and it costs a lot less.

Cabo San Lucas...
reviews: 32
35. Re: holiday phone

Cabomiamor: Simply swapping sim cards will not do the trick. Your phone must be ´"unlocked" for use on other carriers AND be compatible with the GSM cell networks in Mexico.

If you have a T-mobile or ATT phone you´re in luck, most of them will operate on the Mexican networks. You can pay an online service to genereate an "unlock" code for your phone $10-$30, then you can use your phone with a sim card on any compatible network world wide. Then while in Cabo simply buy a sim card for $13, this includes some airtime as well. The airtime is good for Talk, Text and browsing on3G.

That be my way to go and your still $20 cheaper than your vacation phone option.

Good luck.

Philadelphia...
36. Re: holiday phone

Just got back from Greece and feel Holiday Phone was a ripoff. From the customer service to the actual functionality I think the service and product is terrible. Website not clear and in some ways misleading. Got limited help from chat tech support. Was never able to access internet from my phone the entire time in Greece. When people called my cell, it was answered with a message in Greek, calls were never forwarded. And when I got home, although minor when compared to the rest of the service, I was unable to cancel forwarding as per their instructions...ended up having to call my service provider and get them to do it. So all in all I would not use holiday phone. Cheaper and easier to buy a sim card once you get where you're going. If you get the Skype for your phone you can call from anywhere you have internet access. And you can call or email folks your new number to reach you while away.

Philadelphia...
37. Re: holiday phone

Joel R....that really is amazing! Wondering when you went to Italy, because when I tried to get one on Aug 16 for my trip that included Italy starting Aug 29, they didn't offer it because they were in negotiations with a new provider. I'm thankful now that it wasn't available and I only got ripped off for one country and not 2!

SAINT AUGUSTINE
reviews: 1
38. Re: holiday phone

Klas,

One of my friends bought two (2) sim cards from your company before he left for USA. They did not work here and he contacted your company in Sweden. They referred to the phone provider here in USA but they could not help. When he came back home to Sweden, he contacted your company several times but never got any respond. He is still out his SEK 1,600. What action will you take? Will you contact him and return his money?

SAINT AUGUSTINE
reviews: 1
39. Re: holiday phone

Klas,

One of my friends bought two (2) sim cards from your company before he left for USA. They did not work here and he contacted your company in Sweden. They referred to the phone provider here in USA but they could not help. When he came back home to Sweden, he contacted your company several times but never got any respond. He is still out his SEK 1,600. What action will you take? Will you contact him and return his money?

London, United...
40. Re: holiday phone

THIS IS A RIP OFF - AVOID !!!!

Am in USA from UK on business - bought sim with extra everything without reading reviews - ooops! No where does it tell you to unlock - but managed in long run - got sim to work - just. Can get thru to UK - quality appalling - cuts off continually - useless for business. Ran outa data in no time - tho I only ever used it in hot spots - no way I used 3GB let alone 10!!! Tried to call - no one available - no answer - blah bah - there's easier and cheaper options out there AVOID.

Reply to: holiday phone
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted