We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

holiday phone

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
misson hills, ca
reviews: 16
holiday phone

I was just checking out a website called holidayphone.com. what they do is send you a sim card for your phone that allows you to keep your cell # and use it while traveling. It's a flat fee of $54 and change for 1 hour talk time while in Mexico. You can add 1gb of data for another $15. Compared to what I've spent in the past using my phone, this is pretty good, so I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience using this company?

54 replies to this topic
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 84
1. Re: holiday phone

If you're with AT&T or Verizon and some other carriers You can add Mexico for a few dollars a month

That would be far better and cheaper

Verizon for sure does this So it depends on who you're with now

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 2
2. Re: holiday phone

Or you could use Skype to talk, cheaper option than $54!

Cool, California
reviews: 15
3. Re: holiday phone

I bought a Nokia phone at TelCel for $23 last Jan. came loaded with minutes and if I need more, I refill it at OoXXOO

Stockholm...
4. Re: holiday phone

For skype you need a data connection correct?

And who wants to leave a guided tour at the museum or the beach chair to make a call?

Better to have a data connection sorted when you arrive, like Holidayphone offer

Stockholm...
5. Re: holiday phone

Holidayphone also offer a Mobile Hot spot device now that creates a WIFI based on the mobile operator data offering. Now you and your friends/family can connect all your devices (phone, tablet, laptop)

its also a safe connection, compared to "the free wifi", at the coffe shop or hotel. Using a "free Wifi" means that any one can listen in. Think about that when you submit credit card details or using your various passwords.

With a Mobile hot spot you have WEP2 security at the LOWEST level.

Have a great trip!

Cabo San Lucas...
reviews: 17
6. Re: holiday phone

How is holiday phone a good deal at $.90 per minute. You can get AT&T for $.59 per min and Verizon for $15 for the month. There is plenty of free wifi in Cabo to check e mail. Looks like a rip off to me

Stockholm...
7. Re: holiday phone

Still WIFI is not recommended as the owner of the wifi can listen in on all your communication. And other 3:rd party characters. Just make sure you minimize your credit card exposure etc.

Secondly - not all people are americans or travel from the US - did you think of that? I guess not.

Holidayphone is good value and more than that a good and honest Swedish company - Have a great week end!

Kerrville, Texas
reviews: 51
8. Re: holiday phone

You can purchase calling cards while you are there and just use the phone in your room or any phone (land line) for that matter. Then you do not have to worry about security and high rates on your own phone. The cards works great for us while in Isla Mujeres. Three ladies all used one card.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 59
9. Re: holiday phone

Klas ~ this sounds like an advertisement. Are you an employee or just a happy customer?

CaboCarl ~ AT&T no longer offers the $0.59 per minute program. It was discontinued last November. They offer a new Viva Mexico plan or a roaming plan.

If anyone is looking for free Wi-Fi in Cabo, here is the list: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g152515-c191438

reviews: 2
10. Re: holiday phone

I used this company for a trip to Italy in April. I received a faulty SIM card and while I was abroad I contacted customer support and was told it was Italy's network that was the problem which made no sense. Then I sent back the SIM card and the company tested it and it was found to be defective however it is now May 8th and they won't give me a refund after several ignored emails. Via their chat service I'm being told to wait because they don't have anybody in the office that can make a "refund" decision which is ridiculous.

Avoid this company!!!

Reply to: holiday phone
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted