We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Cabos enforcing drunk driving laws.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 84
Los Cabos enforcing drunk driving laws.

But dont hold your breath. (Pun Intended) The law says that you are drunk if you blow a .40 into their testing equipment !!! In the US if you drunk enough to blow a .40 you probably would be unconscious ! In New York you are considered drunk if you blow a .08 In Mexico you have to drink 5 times more alcohol to be considered Drunk than in New York. Thats a lot of booze!!!

The penalty is only $250 for violating the law in Mexico. Really light for such a violation.

Oh, Did I mention Cabo and San Jose only have two breath testers between them.

Lemont, Illinois...
1. Re: Los Cabos enforcing drunk driving laws.

Is this for Real? Someone else on FB said it came from the Gringo Gazette. Are they really serious? I won't drive with one drink, here at home and that is why I stay at Playa Grande - within walking distance from many eateries/clubs in town and can take a cheap taxi home if need be, which is usually the case. LOL

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
2. Re: Los Cabos enforcing drunk driving laws.

Deborah....It is in the Gringo Gazette. Hard to beleive they are so lax with the .40 But you have to start somewhere. I guess its all about not wanting to slow tourist dollars in the bars. Thats a lot of income for this area. But we have all seen some bad accidents on the corridor. Im sure they are mostly alcohol related.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 33
3. Re: Los Cabos enforcing drunk driving laws.

That is amazing!!!!!!!!! As much as I could drink back in the old days, I would have been totally out with a .40!!!!!!!! Much better now that I quit :)

Upper Michigan
reviews: 15
4. Re: Los Cabos enforcing drunk driving laws.

How much box wine can you drink before you are at .40. I just want to make sure that BG knows her limit. Tis the season.

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 315
5. Re: Los Cabos enforcing drunk driving laws.

I've seen news stories about folks who have died at less than .40. Even in my young and stupid days (45 years ago) when I was -- wait for it -- young and stupid, I don'tt think I ever came close to .40.

Probably .25 on my best (or worst) night! LOL

Edited: 12:40 am, December 29, 2012
Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 315
6. Re: Los Cabos enforcing drunk driving laws.

Addendum: I think that night was some time in 1967. About a dozen Stingers (what was I thinking???) at Sid's Blue Beet in Newport Beach, CA. Then a 3 a.m. trip to Tijuana -- aborted somewher near Oceanside on PCH.

Ah, the "good ol' days"!!!

Edited: 12:45 am, December 29, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
7. Re: Los Cabos enforcing drunk driving laws.

.40 wonder who is driving most would be passed out.

In BC one drink could result in a 24 hour suspension.

Over .08 will cost around 5500.00 and a one year suspension mandatory counseling. Then there is the sky high insurance after.

Tacoma, Wash
reviews: 10
8. Re: Los Cabos enforcing drunk driving laws.

I imagine about 3 boxes. I'm good:)

Safety first!

Edited: 2:57 am, December 29, 2012
Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
9. Re: Los Cabos enforcing drunk driving laws.

BG......The good news is those empty wine boxes are like having extra Air Bags in your vehicle. Im sure you will be safe drinking and driving. : }

Fresno, California
reviews: 30
10. Re: Los Cabos enforcing drunk driving laws.

Glynn you could probably throw in a few shots, and still not be at .40, that's about unconscious