We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Solmar - is it OK?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 13
Grand Solmar - is it OK?

We are booked to go to Grand Solmar in January. Been hearing some negative things about it lately. Hot water occasionaly out, no a/c, noisy construction. I don't really care about the time share issues since I have no intention on going to a presentation, and I'm use to getting hounded by the salespeople on oher trips to mexico, but can someone whose been to the resort recently comment on the other issues. The place looks beautiful and seems to be in a great location. Just want to confirm I made a good choice.

Fishkill, NY
reviews: 35
1. Re: Grand Solmar - is it OK?

I am going in February and have the same exact concerns you do. The resort looks amazingly beautiful. I typically go with the flow. I have been to a few resorts in which I had to run the water for a few minutes in order for hot to kick in. I can live with that but none would really make me mad! I am going with an open mind and hoping for the best! Hope I am not making a mistake!

Vancouver BC
reviews: 2
2. Re: Grand Solmar - is it OK?

Here are two threads that are currently being posted to on this forum. Did you read them?

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g152515-i84-k499665…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g152515-i84-k585368…

Vancouver BC
reviews: 2
3. Re: Grand Solmar - is it OK?

And another thread.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g152515-i84-k595852…

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 13
4. Re: Grand Solmar - is it OK?

Yes I saw these. Thanks. That is why I posted the question, given that the vast majority of the reviews of the resort have been positive. The timeshare stuff, while unforutnate, is not what I'm concerned about since I am renting a unit. I know the timeshare people can be sharks. thanks.

Fishkill, NY
reviews: 35
5. Re: Grand Solmar - is it OK?

Sirsir, I'm not concerned about the time share sharks either, just the other stuff.

6. Re: Grand Solmar - is it OK?

Hello. We just got back couple days ago. Place is very nice. No Problems with sewage, water . Very nice employees. We did have one nice dining experience at there la roca and one bad one. They did rectify it by not charging us for dinner and gave us free breakfast next day. Just a little construction noise. Wish we were in different building . But still was nice . I am not an owner ,but rented from an owner. . I would not worry , just go.

McArthur, California
reviews: 15
7. Re: Grand Solmar - is it OK?

We spent a week at Grand Solmar a year ago in January and had no hot water issues, a/c issues, or issues with the stove. I did have trouble figuring out the convection oven only because I do not own one. My husband actually enjoyed watching the construction while we drank coffee from our balcony. He was in awe with how fast all of it was happening. We were in Building E which I believe was the first building constructed in Phase I. The unit we were in only had Internet through our RJ45 cable so if you own one bring it along. Wireless was available in the lobby and by the adult pool. Oh, the air worked great for us but you had to leave your room key in the slot if you wanted your unit to be cool when you returned. We loved the resort and the staff! Could have done without the timeshare folks and even some of the other guests but we would definitely go back….in fact we will be there from the 30th – 6th so I can give an update when we return. …:*)

St. Louis, MO
reviews: 23
8. Re: Grand Solmar - is it OK?

I just spent two weeks at Grand Solmar. December 1-15. The first 4 days there was no hot water or air-conditioning. That has been resolved. Some guests opted to move to Solmar Beach or Playa Grande. We stuck it out, took showers at Solmar Beach. Thank God for the ceiling fans.

I would have opted to move had I known it was going to be 4 days. Each day we were advised it would be fixed shortly.

Some guests were given ammenities for their inconvience. Only the squeeky wheels got oiled. Nothing for the rest of us who tolerated the inconvience without complaining.

The construction noise was not that bothersome to me. However, request to be as far from the construction as possible.

The rooms are lovely. Like you, I don't allow the timeshare people to bother me. The staff is top notch.

Fresno, California
reviews: 30
9. Re: Grand Solmar - is it OK?

Good luck to you, cold showers are nice in the summer time, but not sure about when you are going. No electricity kind of sucks though. Guess you can always mover to Playa Grande IF they have room.

Regina,sk
reviews: 4
10. Re: Grand Solmar - is it OK?

I would just be pre emotive and ask it is beautiful and the staff are great. Hey Nola did you get our present we left it at your door before we left