We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk to Lover's Beach from Playa Grande?

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nanaimo, Canada
reviews: 9
Walk to Lover's Beach from Playa Grande?

We are staying at Playa Grande from Dec. 29-Jan. 5 and looking forward to celebrating New Years in Cabo. When I look at google earth, it appears that one can walk down the pacific coast to the Divorce/Lover's Beach area. Is this possible?

Any other hints you can offer about Playa Grande would be super welcome!

Thank you!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 56
1. Re: Walk to Lover's Beach from Playa Grande?

You can climb over the rocks to Divorce Beach. Sometimes there is a local who will guide you for a fee.

Here is someone's photo that will help to orient you: picasaweb.google.com/mohita69/Cabo2010… You can see a tiny piece of Grand Solmar under construction in the lower left part of the photo.

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 69
2. Re: Walk to Lover's Beach from Playa Grande?

Its not possible to walk to Lovers Beach area around the Pacific side. You can climb over the side of the so called Mt Solmar but it is not an easy task r most.

Edited: 9:24 am, November 28, 2012
Washington State
Destination Expert
3. Re: Walk to Lover's Beach from Playa Grande?

Just to add more details to Rocky's idea ....

You can climb Mt Solmar from the Pacific side. Then take the 'easy' route down toward the marina, but be sure to get permission from the landowner so he cages his dogs and opens the gate for you. (Hmmm. Do you want to guess who didn't do it the 'right' way? At least the dogs were caged and the owner was on site to let me out of his gate!) Now I just go up & down Mt Solmar on the Pacific side. But if you go up Mt Solmar and down to the marina side, you still aren't at Lover's Beach!

Here are some photos about climbing Mt Solmar. This is NOT the same route I use to get over to Divorce Beach. …google.com/PNWFamily/MtSolmarAndLandsEnd

St. Paul, MN
reviews: 1
4. Re: Walk to Lover's Beach from Playa Grande?

Actually you don't climb over Mt. Solmar. Just climb over the lower rocks as seen in the pics above. There is a fairly obvious path leading up the rocks toward Land’s End… can’t miss it. It is easier to do at something less than high tide but doable pretty much anytime.

During most days there is a local there that will help you for a small tip, but you can do it on your own fairly easily.

One caution - if you are going to swim it's only safe on the Lover's Beach (marina) side. The Pacific side is extremely dangerous and there are drownings there almost every year due to the dangerous waves and rip currents.

St. Paul, MN
5. Re: Walk to Lover's Beach from Playa Grande?

Just one more clarification. Once you climb over the rocks, you will come out on the Pacific side - Divorce Beach. Then just hike the beach 50 yards or so toward the marina and you are on Lover's Beach.

Washington State
Destination Expert
6. Re: Walk to Lover's Beach from Playa Grande?

I think the photo in Reply 1 shows the locations that Cabowinds & I are talking about. The photo album I linked in Reply 3 has a photo with labels for Solmar Beach, Divorce Beach, and Lovers Beach. It's this one: …google.com/PNWFamily/…5422266451957198002

The Mt Solmar hike is not the way to Lovers Beach. "But if you go up Mt Solmar and down to the marina side, you still aren't at Lover's Beach!"

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 32
7. Re: Walk to Lover's Beach from Playa Grande?

What 'hints' are you interested in for PG? There are a lot of us that stay there, so we'd all be happy to offer ideas. :)

Kent, Washington
reviews: 2
8. Re: Walk to Lover's Beach from Playa Grande?

A layman with some rock scrambling ability (and the right shoes) can do it without assistance, especially if you time the tide. But it's not that easy, especially the 2nd set of rocks.

Nanaimo, Canada
reviews: 9
9. Re: Walk to Lover's Beach from Playa Grande?

Wow, THANK you so much! Sorry, I meant Divorce Beach on the Pacific Side. I knew that we would likely have to get there before getting to Lover's Beach. Not really fond of the 'dog cage' idea. Yikes! Think we'll stay low.

The PG looks like a beautiful resort from the photos we've seen. Have never stayed there before but looking forward to New Years there this year. We stay one week at the PG and then move onto Marina Fiesta for a week...then 2 nights in a condo at Club la Costa in San Jose del Cabo.

Thanks again for the info...I guess I should maybe write a new post about my PG questions.

San Marcos, Texas
10. Re: Walk to Lover's Beach from Playa Grande?

Islandcharly,

We actually just got back from Playa Grande a little over a week ago. Very easy to walk to Lovers Beach and the Arch. Just walk past the military base there at the end of the marina and walk down the beach next to the deserted fish processing building. You will have to climb over some small rock formations but nothing major. We had a blast in the surf at the arch. And don't worry there are plenty of water taxis to haul you back if you like. Have a great time!