We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing from Beach and Morning Newspaper Availability at Riu

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kalamazoo, MI
Fishing from Beach and Morning Newspaper Availability at Riu

Does anyone know if one can fish from the beach near the Riu...or anywhere else around nearby? Is a license needed, and if so, where may one be obtained?

Can you get a morning newpaper at the Riu (need one to linger over coffee!)?

California
reviews: 1
1. Re: Fishing from Beach and Morning Newspaper Availability at Riu

Morning paper from where?

Kalamazoo, MI
2. Re: Fishing from Beach and Morning Newspaper Availability at Riu

USA Today or other US metro paper....

Toronto,On
3. Re: Fishing from Beach and Morning Newspaper Availability at Riu

you can buy usa today at the tobacco shop.

Virginia
4. Re: Fishing from Beach and Morning Newspaper Availability at Riu

Dont know about the fishing from the beach at Riu, however the surf fishing can be excellent particularly near LaPlayita and just a little north of there. You are required to purchase a Mexican fishing lic. A one week fishing Lic. should cost you 30.00. You may obtain a Lic. from some of the local tackle shops in Cabo, or from CONPESCA Oficina Pesca, 2550 Fifth Avenue Suite 101, San Diego Ca. 92103 619-233-6956. If you call them they can tell you all of the particulars. This is the only official CONPESCA office in the U.S. Go to Mexfish.com and look through some of the current fishing reports. My advice would be forget the newspaper. Part of the charm of LosCabos is forgetting the stress of the outside world. Have a great time-- j.p.

Kalamazoo, MI
5. Re: Fishing from Beach and Morning Newspaper Availability at Riu

Great info, Yachtmerchant...thanks so much. My 19-year old son is an avid fisherman here in Michigan (inland and the 'big lake') and he deep-sea and surf fishes when we are near an ocean. He'll be happy to pack his fishing pole!

Thanks to Enqonsa, too, for the info on the newspaper. I will be avoiding the 'real news'....but hubby likes the sports and I like to linger over the daily crossword with my coffee.

Canada
reviews: 1
6. Re: Fishing from Beach and Morning Newspaper Availability at Riu

I did try fly fishing from the beach, but with the strong surf it is almost futile. I would suggest a water taxi to the rocks east of the Riu may be a good spot.

Virginia
7. Re: Fishing from Beach and Morning Newspaper Availability at Riu

It would be a cool treat to take your son fishing on a local Panga. These can be rented at the marina for about 180.00 for a 6 hour trip. If this interest you i will be happy to direct you to other resources and provide any info. i can.-- j.p.

Kalamazoo, MI
8. Re: Fishing from Beach and Morning Newspaper Availability at Riu

Thanks, Traveller1954, for this good advice.

Yachtmerchant: What is a panga, and I'd appreciate any recommendations you can provide. Thanks in advance...

Virginia
9. Re: Fishing from Beach and Morning Newspaper Availability at Riu

A Panga is a small open boat usually 22 or 23 feet in length ,which is well suited for inshore and bottom fishing. I would stay with a reputable firm, although there are numbers of small operators around the marina, some are a ripoff. Most charters do not include lunch or bait. Bait will normally cost around 20.00 u.s per trip depending on availability. Remember a panga does not have a head (bathroom). The charters do not include a tip for the captain/crew which usually is 15% of the cost of the trip. KatD reccommends CanboMagic. The are among the best with large and small boats. I use RedRum. They provide an "all-inclusive" charters with lunch, bait and drinks provided, as well as the preparation of your catch (Freezing, smoking, etc) If you can get to S.J.D go to Laplayita and fish with Eric Bricston at Gordo Banks Pangas. They are the best and Eric is a good man. Though Eric does not have the "all inclusive" plan his fleet is productive. Look at redrumcabo.com or for Eric: gordobanks.com If you go with Redrum, they are right in the marina in Cabo as is CaboMagic. Ask for Heather at RedRum. Both offer larger boats as well as Pangas. Besides getting to catch fish you almost always see Whales and other aquatic life so its a double treat. Good Luck! J.P.

Kalamazoo, MI
10. Re: Fishing from Beach and Morning Newspaper Availability at Riu

Thanks so much for the info, J.P. We'll probably just stick close to Cabo and visit Heather at Redrum...at least we now know who to contact and what to expect. Thanks again!