We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What size of bills is best?

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fitchburg...
reviews: 4
What size of bills is best?

I'm taking $1500 US fund for my husband and me for 8 days.........Im trying to figure out how many $20, $10's $5s etc........what is the best ones?

This money will be used for drinks, drinks, drinks, breakfast lunch & dinners, and souveniers of course! The rest I think I will use the credit card.....what is the best size of bill to take? I figure if I take all small bills I will have a huge stack....but I read on here that small ones are better? Opinions?

Going to the bank today........as I got 1 1/2 days to go........

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 31
1. Re: What size of bills is best?

You are right-you will have a huge stack, but definitely lots of ones! Many $5's, fewer $10's...........We use our credit card to settle our charges when we leave, so that cuts down on the amount. We tip the maid, bell boy, Mariachi's, wait staff and anyone else in cash-US or pesos-both are fine. The small little shops (stands) take mostly cash, but the shops, like Mexico Lindo for jewelry, will take credit cards. It's hard to say how much of each, as I shop so much less now........

Fitchburg...
2. Re: What size of bills is best?

not too many $20's? Or majority $20's especially for meals...?

3. Re: What size of bills is best?

I was planning to take some 20's as well, but mostly for meals too. I'm not taking nearly as much $ as you though Kaygeecee! Perhaps I need to rethink that. We've got 3 1/2 days to go...see ya there! :0)

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
4. Re: What size of bills is best?

Kim, will you be paying cash at Solmar for meals, or charging them to your room? We tend to eats many meals right there, so that would make the difference in quantities of $20's......I like to carry at least $40-$50 mostly in ones, and let hubby handle the rest.

Fitchburg...
5. Re: What size of bills is best?

I'm thinking we are going to try a whole bunch of different restaurants.....I've been making a list..... we are getting 3 free meals per person from Solmar, came with the hotel package.....not sure what the restrictions will be, but I am hoping we get to try their different restaurants too? Ever had the free meals Kat? So I assume I wont be eating there all that much.

Tam - Hey thats cool, where are you staying? The other couple I am going with, like to spend...and drink, so I am taking extra cash just in case.

Texas
6. Re: What size of bills is best?

The smaller denominations you bring, the better chance you have of having exact change and not having to get pesos for your change. And lots of ones so you can tip tip tip!

400 - 20s

600 - 10s

250 - 5s

250 - 1s

something like that maybe

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
7. Re: What size of bills is best?

Kim, we have recieved the dinner coupons, and have used them at Solmar, but have been too lazy to use them at the other choices. We keep saying we will, but haven't.

New Jersey
8. Re: What size of bills is best?

Kygeecee,

To you point....are you planning on exchanging any money into pesos? Or are you going to use just American dollars?

-Jersey

9. Re: What size of bills is best?

We're staying at the Melia San Lucas. Yeah we plan to drink plenty too but I'm hoping to save some $ by going to Costco and getting our own liquor for the room. I'm fortunate though and it doesn't take me but 1 or 2 and I'm set for the night ;0)

Fitchburg...
10. Re: What size of bills is best?

Kat - Do you remember any restrictions at all on the dinner coupons? ie: capped value for dinners? I am assumming we will be able to use at all the Solmars restaurants?

Jersey - yes I am planning on only taking US funds, as it is widely accepted there. If I see a need for Pesos, there are a number of places in town to exchange. And any change that you get back on purchases will be in Pesos also....

Tam - I hear ya, me too....Im afraid I will not keep up to the rest of them, but hey if its watered down drinks for ladies night, thats fine for me! He he!!