We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabo Trip Reort

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Des Moines, Iowa
reviews: 67
Cabo Trip Reort

We spent 12 twelve days in Cabo recently on an extended Spring Break---it was our first trip there. We generally take sun vacations in the Caribbean or Florida, and haven't been to Mexico in many years. We really liked Cabo. We spent 4 nights at the Melia San Lucas---this was a MUCH nicer hotel than I had expected---loved it, and would go back in a heartbeat. The pool area was the nicest of any hotel I saw (and I visited 6 or 7). The "Nikki Beach" area by the pool and beach with these 4 poster lounging beds was very stylish. There was soft "techno-music" playing in the afternoon by the pool--I liked this--didn't find it obtrusive at all, and I am an old guy (late 40's). However, if you are someone who wants absolute quiet, I wouldn't recommend it (and why are you going to Cabo anyway?) Rooms were nice, not fabulous, but ours had a great view of Land's End.

We had friends staying at the Hacienda Beach Resort so we spent quite a bit of time there. I liked the grounds there, and the hotel does have character. We liked having early evening cocktails at the bar there. The rooms, however, were a little too dowdy for me---if they spent some money on renovations it could be a great hotel--love the location.

The last week we were at the Playa Grande. We had a wonderful time here too. After Medano, I was a little concerned Solmar beach might be too quiet--but I ended up loving it. The grounds here were immaculate also. The rooms at Playa Grande were spacious and brand new--great bathrooms. Our kids loved the pools at Playa Grande. The food at the pool was good and reasonably priced (in my opinion) (less than food at the Melia). However, and this is purely an issue of personal preference, the Playa Grande was just slightly too large for my taste---I prefer places that are not quite that large. Still, we had a great time and I cannot fault the Playa Grande for anything.

We walked down Solmar Beach several times and hiked over the rocks to Lover's Beach (which is just fabulous). I snorkled at Lover's Beach---it was better than I had expected. On the way back from our Lover's Beach hikes, we would stop at the Solmar Hotel for a drink---loved the setting of this hotel against the rocks.

Food was great--favorite meals were at Da Giorgio's, Mi Casa, Nick San(went twice---sushi was to die for),Sancho Panza Wine Bistro (went once for dinner and came back a second time for drinks and dancing to their wonderful band), and La Golondrina. Tried all week to get in to Edith's but it never worked out. Had an expensive lunch at Esperanza--gorgeous setting and great food, but pricey. Had nice casual meals at Baja Cantina (good pizza), the Office, Solomon's Landing. Also ate late one night at Cabo Wabo--food was pretty good, but we heard loud, competing music from about 3 different bars and we really couldn't talk. I would just go to the bar there.

Snorkled twice at Santa Maria Bay (loved this place) and once at Chileno (Good, but not as pretty as Santa Maria, IMO). No golf this trip. Tried ATVs with the kids, which was fun, but my daughter tipped her ATV. I was VERY worried about an injury--she's OK but it made me nervous.

All in all, a great trip to Cabo.

st paul, mn
1. Re: Cabo Trip Reort

great- glad you liked santa maria, it is one of my favorites-how did you get there? did you rent car, take bus? sorry about the atv accident, it definitely would make me nervous as well. which atv tour did you take-did you go back in land and then over to pacific?

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 33
2. Re: Cabo Trip Reort

IowaGuy!

Good review! Glad you had such a good trip, and it sounds like you would definitely go back! That's great! (Next time, try staying at Solmar. It is the first hotel built and owned by Sr. Bulnes, who also built Playa G., and several restaurants, etc., in town.) We love both properties, and are headed to Solmar in May.

Again, very good, informative post! Thanks!

3. Re: Cabo Trip Reort

Great Post . . . thanks for sharing ! We are Cabo bound in early May . . . 1st time . . . can't wait ! The drink at Somar after visitng Lover's Beach sounds like a great idea--think we'll do that. Thanks again!

San Diego, CA
reviews: 2
4. Re: Cabo Trip Reort

Thanks for the review!

How hard was the hike over to Lover's Beach?

How was Nick San priced?

Chatham, New Jersey
reviews: 38
5. Re: Cabo Trip Reort

great report

I'd be interested in hearing more about Sancho Panza Wine Bistro and the dancing....my lady friend would love to find some quaint bar or lounge with a live band (preferably playing latin music) where we could dance, as opposed to a packed club with loud techno blaring

Des Moines, Iowa
6. Re: Cabo Trip Reort

In respose to a few questions, the hike over the rocks to Lover's Beach was somewhat challenging (but do-able) for a 48-year old out of shape lawyer like myself, but would be pretty easy for anyone younger or in better shape. Took us about 30 minutes to get over to Lover's Beach from PG.

As to Nick San, I thought pricing was reasonable for the quality--"cooked" fish entrees generally ran $15-$22 or so, sushi appetizers were per piece--it was moderately expensive, but really not bad. Sit in the front room to watch the chefs at work---the quality and freshness of all the food is just incredible--lots of interesting flavors.

As to Sancho Panza, the food was good (more in the American bistro vein) and the atmosphere and music were great. Although we visited the usual bars--Gigglin Marlin, Cabo Wabo, Squid Roe---at my age I felt more comfortable with a glass of wine dancing to some latin jazz at Sancho Panza.

Kat D, I would definitely return to Cabo.

Idaho
reviews: 2
7. Re: Cabo Trip Reort

How was the water temp for snorkeling? We're heading down to Cabo in late May. I'm not concerned for myself, but my wife doesn't like cold or even cool water.

Des Moines, Iowa
8. Re: Cabo Trip Reort

Water temp for snorkeling was COLD. I got used to it though. Should be warmer in May. My wife enjoys snorkeling in Caribbean, but found it too cold here.

california
reviews: 1
9. Re: Cabo Trip Reort

iowaguy:

I meant to tell you your post was great! By the way, Sancho Panza sounds like a wonderful place.

Thanks for your fantastic input.

Ron