We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

gringo forum for Hermosillo?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Guaymas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Too far north
reviews: 2
gringo forum for Hermosillo?

There are good friendly and very active forums for residents and visitors to some places (San Carlos, Baja, etc.). Does anyone know of one for Hermosillo? r maybe just Sonora in general?

Monterrey, Mexico
reviews: 60
21. Re: gringo forum for Hermosillo?

Hello Gary,

In regard to your question regarding the weather, you can expect mild weather in December and January. I would guess daytime temps in the 70s F and nighttime lows in the high 40s to high 50s F. Some of the recent weather forecasts suggest that an El Nino weather pattern is beginning which could bring some rain, but generally you can expect dry conditions as well.

In regard to your question about the coast south of Guaymas, here's what I know:

The area north of Guaymas, called San Carlos, has a number of hotels and a fairly large American and Canadian community. There are a number of restaurants and hotels that cater to this crowd and you can expect prices to be higher here.

Guaymas is a fairly busy city with a metro population of around 250,000. There are a number of smaller hotels, restaurants, etc, that cater to the Mexican crowd and are more affordable.

South of Guaymas, the coastline is relatively undeveloped. There are not a lot of "beach" destinations with hotels, restaurants, etc.--at least within the state of Sonora. There is a Mexican beach destination called Huatabampito. It's located west-southwest of Navajoa. It's about as deserted as it gets. A few houses, one hotel, and a restaurant along the beach.

North of Guaymas you could possibly check out Kino Bay. It's west of Hermosillo. There are some hotels, restaurants, and RV parks, but it's much, much less developed than San Carlos. You could certainly find yourself walking alone on the beach in Kino, especially in Dec/Jan.

I hope that answers your questions. If not, post again, and I'll clarify.

For what it's worth, today, Nov. 11, we are going to top out near 90 degrees in Hermosillo. Last night's low was about 60. We're still waiting on "fall" to arrive!!!

Alan

Too far north
reviews: 2
22. Re: gringo forum for Hermosillo?

The weather should be nice: 75-85 degrees F. as highs, depending on what's up weatherwise.

Exploring up and down the coast should be fine, but I can't speak to the wisdom of out-of-the-way camping, if that's what you're interested in. Stick San Carlos Forum in google and you'll find a bulletin board where friendly people will be able to give helpful advice from experience.

Alberta
23. Re: gringo forum for Hermosillo?

Thanks to both Alan and TC85614.

I am really looking forward to this trip. Mexico is a place I absolutely love. I have been working for 20 years now, with barely more than a week off at a time. I have worked it so that I can have seven weeks off before and after Christmas, so I am loading up my truck on the 16th of December and heading south. Right now, the weather here is about -15 C, and threatening snow yet again. Five more weeks and I am on my way.

I wonder about over Christmas? I know that Easter is a huge holiday, but is there a chance that I will not be able to find a hotel in the Hermosillo/Guaymas area over Christmas? I can stay with my father in law over Christmas in Yuma (if things would not be good over the holidays for finding a place to stay in Mexico.)

Deserted sounds good, so it is nice to know there is a chance to find that south of Guaymas. I don't need a resort, that is for sure. I am trying to learn a bit of Spanish (got a book at Chapters.)

Anyway - thanks for the replies. This is the first time in my life I have talked on any kind of forum (even though I have been using computers for my entire career. Any other information or advice you have - please feel free.

24. Re: gringo forum for Hermosillo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, August 27, 2009