We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

San Carlos / Copper Canyon

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albert Lea...
reviews: 48
San Carlos / Copper Canyon

We have a time share week in San Carlos September of 2010. This trip I would love to include a few days on the copper canyon train. We have flown from Phoenix to Guaymas and we have also driven from Phoenix to San Carlos.

My question, it has been stated that it is better to go West to East but I think we would like to end up in San Carlos. What would be the best Itinerary. Do we really need a tour or is it doable on our own. Would it be better to fly into Texas?

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 58
11. Re: San Carlos / Copper Canyon

You can fly to Los Mochis rather than Mazatlan. Mazatlan is 300 miles from Los Mochis.

ontheroadin.com/travelinnformation/…15j

Albert Lea...
reviews: 48
12. Re: San Carlos / Copper Canyon

Thank you for that web site. How long do you realistically think a trip from Nogalas to El Fuente would take? 480 us miles are some what different then Mexican roads. Although we were very happy with Hwy 15 to San Carlos.

I was looking at flying into Mazatlan just for the fact that we can get direct flights from Minneapolis. Thanks

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 83
13. Re: San Carlos / Copper Canyon

Leaving San Carlos you can get to Obregon in less than two hrs. From Obregon to the turn of to El Fuerte another two. (Its a tricky u-turn) so some maps don't even show it and send you thru Los Mochis.

From there another 30-40 minutes to El Fuerte.

14. Re: San Carlos / Copper Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 pm, October 18, 2009
Get answers to your questions about San Carlos