We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Homestay WITHOUT attending a school

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which San Miguel de Allende hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Homestay WITHOUT attending a school

I would very much like to stay with a Mexican family in SMA while I'm there for a week (likely in October). But so far, I've only found homestays that are associated with language schools, which I do not want to attent this trip.

Does anyone know of an organization (or even individual families!) that could help me do a homestay "a la carte"?

Seattle, Washington
1. Re: Homestay WITHOUT attending a school

I forgot to mention that I contacted 3 schools via email asking about this. One said they only do homestays for students; the other two never replied.

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 5
2. Re: Homestay WITHOUT attending a school

Do you speak Spanish? Could be helpful..

Seattle, Washington
3. Re: Homestay WITHOUT attending a school

Yes, I am conversational so long as th native speaker is patient. ;)

My parents and husband are only "transactional" — they can buy things from stores and maybe get directions, but that's about it.

They want to do the homestay to meet a real Mexican family, not just be tourists. I want to be able to practice my Spanish (and I'm happy to help translate between my family and the homestay family when needed).

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
reviews: 81
4. Re: Homestay WITHOUT attending a school

You are unlikely to find a family able to take three people and you would probably have to ask around on arrival. The people who do homestays have the guarantee of a school behind them. I suppose you could look on airbnb or couchsurfing.

5. Re: Homestay WITHOUT attending a school

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 15, 2014