We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

Organised Tour - Arizona (Tuscon or Phoenix) 2 Copper Canyon

Which Copper Canyon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 27
Organised Tour - Arizona (Tuscon or Phoenix) 2 Copper Canyon

Hello, I wanted to gather some intelligence on organised small group tours leaving from Arizona to the Copper Canyon. I am quite fit and active and would like to travel in a group with a similar outlook. I will be a single female traveller for this leg of the trip and would appreciate any feedback on US companies going to Copper Canyon. Thanks in advance of our wisdom.

10 replies to this topic
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 57
1. Re: Organised Tour - Arizona (Tuscon or Phoenix) 2 Copper Canyon

These tours have dropped off dramatically as a result of border violence in Mexico. Copper Canyon is considered safe. I am not aware of any tours leaving from Tucson or Phoenix. Look at a recent post in this same forum just before your opst about Superior Tours. Also contact http://www.amigos3.com/

You may have to fly to a starting point in Mexico to get on a tour. That would be wither Chihjuahua or Los Mochis.

Edited: 2:22 pm, May 19, 2013
Colorado
reviews: 2
2. Re: Organised Tour - Arizona (Tuscon or Phoenix) 2 Copper Canyon

Did you make it to the canyon? How was the trip if you did?

I'm considering going solo via bus from Denver this September after the rainy season down there.

Cheers!

Sydney, Australia
3. Re: Organised Tour - Arizona (Tuscon or Phoenix) 2 Copper Canyon

Hi, I am planning on being in the Copper Canyon in October. I have a booking (subject to numbers working out) to go with a tour group for nine days. Private message me if you need further information. I had difficulty finding a group that takes single passengers.

san francisco
reviews: 55
4. Re: Organised Tour - Arizona (Tuscon or Phoenix) 2 Copper Canyon

Hi,

I'd love to know whether you've gone and have returned and your experience with the tour group. Im a single female and read the "safety alert" and am a little concerned.

thanks!

jessica

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 57
5. Re: Organised Tour - Arizona (Tuscon or Phoenix) 2 Copper Canyon

Jessica, in the post before yours, the person starting this post says they are going in October. You can contact the individual by clicking on their name on the left, and then send a message.

I maintain my opinion that it is a very bad idea for a single female to travel in that area alone.

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 123
6. Re: Organised Tour - Arizona (Tuscon or Phoenix) 2 Copper Canyon

I just returned from a Trafalgar Tour to the Copper Canyon. I was a solo traveling female but there were about 40 total on the bus. Most left from Phoenix but I got on in Tucson. It was a great 7 day trip and I would highly recommend it. All areas were very safe.

You can book through www.affordabletours.com or www.trafalgar.com or www.acloserlooktours.com

I got the best price through the affordable tours website but they are all the same trip.

Sydney, Australia
7. Re: Organised Tour - Arizona (Tuscon or Phoenix) 2 Copper Canyon

Hi, There were no safety concerns at all. The tour I took was run by S and S tours and had 19 passengers. The hotels were very good as was the guide. At 46, I was the youngest passenger by far; the other passengers were in their 60s to 70s and one over 80. There was a great deal of emphasis on meal stops and the tour was a little slow (owing the age and disabilities of some of the passengers). If I had my time again, I'd go with The Three Amigos who were trying to get small group tours working from a younger and more energetic clientele.

Abbotsford, Canada
reviews: 1
8. Re: Organised Tour - Arizona (Tuscon or Phoenix) 2 Copper Canyon

There is a bus tour planned for April, and more if you can make your own way to El Fuerte. See http://www.rvcaravans.net/tours.html

tucson
reviews: 3
9. Re: Organised Tour - Arizona (Tuscon or Phoenix) 2 Copper Canyon

Coppercanyontrails.org organizes irregular van departures from Tucson. Some themes are food in the sierras, bacanora in sonora, ruins like Paquime and Cuarenta Casas, Mexican waterfalls, as well as burro treking and backpacking.

Abbotsford, Canada
reviews: 1
10. Re: Organised Tour - Arizona (Tuscon or Phoenix) 2 Copper Canyon

I work for Caravanas de Mexico and we organize several tours a year both RV and Bus. Our RV caravans can also be done by someone in car since most of the parks we use are either attached to hels pr have casitas. We have a 55 day one for Fall 2014 and an 80 day one for Spring 2015. Both also do the Monarch Butterfly Preserve as well as Copper Canyon. All Rv Park fees are included, but we would discount by that amount for people using a car and rooms and help book them. Our trips work out to $110 a day. If you are interested our website is www.mexicorvbuddies.com

Reply to: Organised Tour - Arizona (Tuscon or Phoenix) 2 Copper Canyon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted