We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garden route places to visit

Mumbai (Bombay...
reviews: 10
Garden route places to visit

Hi

I'm planning my honeymoon this December and wanted to know if the Garden Route is worth all the driving and then packing-unpacking, hotel to hotel.. Also can you help me with which are the must visit places along the route and which are the good (but not too expensive) hotels to stay at?

Thanks

Frankfurt, Germany
reviews: 60
1. Re: Garden route places to visit

In order for us to help answer your question properly it would be great to know how long you are planning on staying in South Africa and more or less what your plans and interests are.

Regards

Michelle - Owner - Cape Town Guide

Mumbai (Bombay...
2. Re: Garden route places to visit

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for the quick response.

We're looking at spending about 10-12 days in SA. We're going to Cape Town and Johannesburg as of now and wish to do the Garden Route (3 days or 4 days max) but I'm unsure if we should go ahead with it considering its lots of driving and switching hotels..

A scenic drive and some adventure and natural or animal reserves is what we're interested in. Can you help us with which places along the route would fit this description well?

Also, if you can suggest things to do in or around Johannesburg (2-3 days)

Thanks

Cape Town Central...
3. Re: Garden route places to visit

With 4 days in the Garden Route, I would suggest driving all the way to either Knysna or Plettenberg Bay. Then you can easily explore the area from one base without all the unpacking & packing. If you only have three days, personally I would give it a miss.

Things to see/do in the area are Birds of Eden, Monkeyland, Elephant Sanctuary, boattrip to the Knysna Heads, featherbed nature reserve, Storms River Bridge, lots of opportunities for hiking, etc.

Mumbai (Bombay...
4. Re: Garden route places to visit

Hi JenniHx5

Thank you for your reply

I'm a little confused - you mean I drive to Knysna/Plett and stay at a hotel there all through the 3 or 4 days, and from there everyday drive around for the tourist attractions and sight seeing? Is it that centrally located that most of the must do's of the Garden Route like you mentioned are comfortably within its reach?

Also, what is Hermanus popular for?

San Jose, California
reviews: 52
5. Re: Garden route places to visit

Yes, many people use Knysna/Plett as a base to explore the Garden Route.

We stayed in Knysna for 3 nights during our Garden Route visit. Knysna is considered the heart of the Garden Route. It is a smaller town than Plettburg. You can comfortably drive to the popular sights and activities on the garden route from Knysna or Plett.

Hermanus has whale watching, and is about half an hour from Gansbaai, known for Shark Cage diving.

Hermanus is closer to Cape Town, I think about 1.5 hours. Hermanus is not that close to Knysna, maybe 4 or 5 hours of driving distance.

Mumbai (Bombay...
6. Re: Garden route places to visit

Hi!

Thanks for all the help!

I fly into Johannesburg first and am wondering what would be the best option and least time consuming to get to Knysna. Is it possible to fly from Joburg to George and then drive to Knysna or is it Joburg to Port Elizabeth and then drive to Knysna?

Also, can you suggest me with some reasonably priced B&B's at Knysna? I'm looking for something that's safe, assures a good & friendly stay, and is close to the restaurants and market side..not too far and secluded.

Mumbai (Bombay...
7. Re: Garden route places to visit

even i am planning a honeymoon, i wanted to know if its enough also to only stay in cape town for 7 days and forget the garden route?

Berkhamsted, United...
reviews: 99
8. Re: Garden route places to visit

Yes, we flew Jo'burg to George 3 weeks ago and it's the quickest way to Knysna. It's an easy drive along the N2 from George airport. The flight was scheduled to take 1hr50mins.

Mumbai (Bombay...
9. Re: Garden route places to visit

Alright. Sounds good.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

Cape Town Central...
10. Re: Garden route places to visit

Hi yes that is exactly what I meant. We go that way for our holidays at least once every two years & chose to stay in Knysna rather than Plettenberg Bay. Knysna tends to be a bit livelier & suits our needs better. There are loads of B&B's in both towns. Fly to George & then drive to Knysna.

To the second poster, if you chose to stay in Cape Town the whole seven days, there is plenty to see & do to keep you occupied.

Edited: 1:43 pm, September 04, 2013