We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 day holiday on the cape

Cork
12 day holiday on the cape

Hi,

I am heading on a 12 day trip to South Africa in October. I really know very little about the place in general and would love if anyone had any suggestions on how to spend my time.

I arrive in Cape Town and fly out of there as well but have no problem doing a long drive at the beginning or end to make a loop out of the trip.

If anyone can help me out with suggestions on where to spend my time, where to stay, the best things to do and see, anything at all would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to your replies.

Randburg, Gauteng...
reviews: 33
1. Re: 12 day holiday on the cape

Hello, firstly lots to do in Cape Town. Apart from the usual tourist sites - Robben Island, Table Mountain, take the car (think its still under maintenance) or a hike with a group, Kirstenbosch Gardens (in the top 3 in the world), Winelands including Stellenbosch and Franchshoek (famous for cuisine) Cape Point Nature Reserve, Take a Township tour with a tour company (Cape Rainbow Tours) Bo Kaap area, City Tour including Parliament and Fort.Trip to Hermanus - lovely seaside town including Harold Porter Nature Reserve. Then a drive up the Garden Route. Go via Route 62 through the Swartberg Mountains and lovely villages - visit the Port Capital.

Up the Outeniqua Mountains to Oudtshoorn, you can stay overnight. Then to Knysna for a few nights, see the Ffeatherbed Nature Reserve and have some oysters at the Knysna Oyster Company.

Up to TstikammaNature Reserve and do the walk to the suspension bridge. You can also visit Jeffreys Bay, world famous for surfing waves, visit the Wolf sanctuary and the Monkey Sanctuary.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Cork
2. Re: 12 day holiday on the cape

That's absolutely brilliant. Thank you so much for your help.

I have to stop for 3 days in Mossel Bay in the middle so could you recommend a route to take?

Thanks again.

Cape Town Central...
reviews: 57
3. Re: 12 day holiday on the cape

6days Cape Town - Accommodation center point, either De Waterkant, Mouille Point or Waterfront.

4days Garden Route - Accommodation center point, Knysna or Plettenberg Bay

Add maybe 2nights safari in somewhere along the way on the garden route, you can have a look at Sanbona Game Reserve or Garden Route Game Lodge.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

South Africa
reviews: 14
4. Re: 12 day holiday on the cape

12 Days is a nice long time to be in Cape Town, and you can definitely fit in a trip to the Garden Route as well. To add to what was said above, if game viewing or an African safari is of interest to you, I would recommend spending less time in Cape Town (maybe 7 or 8 days) and take a few days to fly to Nelspruit or Johannesburg and join a Kruger National Park safari. There are various companies that offer guided Kruger National Park safaris starting from either Johannesburg or Nelspruit, or you can book a few nights at a private game lodge. The greater Kruger National Park really is the best destination for a safari in South Africa, and none of the smaller game reserves near Cape Town can compare in terms of the safari experience and game viewing you can expect. So if a safari is something that interests you, it is worth the cost and flights of getting to Kruger, rather than spending all your time in Cape Town.

Just a thought.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

5. Re: 12 day holiday on the cape

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:37 am, September 12, 2013
essex, uk
reviews: 2
6. Re: 12 day holiday on the cape

we spent 15 days last year and took in the Garden Route, Oudtshoorn, Franshoek and Amakhala Game Reserve as well as Cape Town .

This year we plan to spend 2 weeks just in the Cape area so there is time to relax and hopefully get on the beach. This year's trip is CT, Hermanus, Franschoek, Constantia and Paternoster .

7. Re: 12 day holiday on the cape

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, September 08, 2014