We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving garden route - start at george or pt. elizabeth?

Charleston, South...
reviews: 50
driving garden route - start at george or pt. elizabeth?

i will be arriving from kruger and making my way back to cape town via car. i am hoping to stay in knysna a night or two and want to bungee nearby. does it make sense to fly into george and backtrack a bit or should i start in port elizabeth? is there anything major i will miss if i start in george?

thanks in advance!

Trou d'eau Douce
1. Re: driving garden route - start at george or pt. elizabeth?

Start in PE - there is Adda elephant park, a couple of lovely private game reserves, elephant riding if you wish plus lovely beaches.

Johannesburg, South...
reviews: 7
2. Re: driving garden route - start at george or pt. elizabeth?

I think you should definitely start in PE, so much to see along the way its a beautiful stretch of land! If you have some extra time, i would suggest driving from Kruger to Durban and making that your starting point for the garden route. You can then spend a night in durban and then make your way to PE and then George. It is worth the drive but like i said only if you will have the extra day or two.

Weybridge
reviews: 57
3. Re: driving garden route - start at george or pt. elizabeth?

I agree, start in PE. Otherwise you would miss Tsitsikamma, which is definately worth a stop, beautiful beaches and hiking/walking trails, so certainly a good place to visit. You also pass Plettenberg Bay, which is a lovely little town, again with beautiful beaches. Plus you can then say you have driven the entire Garden Route, as it starts at Tsitsikamma and ends Mossel Bay!

Tracey - Director, Travel Butlers

Cape Town Central...
reviews: 57
4. Re: driving garden route - start at george or pt. elizabeth?

I would suggest to start in George, because from Port Elzabeth, you still have to drive 2hours to get to Knysna. If you want to make Knysna your base for accommodation, then that would be the best option. George is only about an hour from Knysna and then you can plan your trips around the bungee for the days after.

Hank Daries - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Kent
5. Re: driving garden route - start at george or pt. elizabeth?

Start in PE, the bungy jump is at Storms River, much closer to PE than George is.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
6. Re: driving garden route - start at george or pt. elizabeth?

If you want to do the bungy, start in PE

Edited: 1:03 am, September 08, 2012
Knysna, South Africa
reviews: 62
7. Re: driving garden route - start at george or pt. elizabeth?

If you intend driving from Kruger Park with Cape Town as your destination then there is no point in starting your garden route trip in George. Suggest you drive first to Port Elizabeth, then make your way along the N2 to Storms River to do your bungie jump, then stop over in Plettenberg Bay and Knysna drive through George stop at Hermanus to see the whales then on to Cape Town.

One very long drive so take it easy and enjoy!

Edited: 1:24 pm, September 28, 2012
8. Re: driving garden route - start at george or pt. elizabeth?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 30, 2013