We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum w/ 2 year old advice?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Tulum w/ 2 year old advice?

Planning to do a 5 night stay at an Air BnB with a pool right near Las Ranitas in mid-October. Hope this is a good time to go... It is 90 feet away from the beach; I am told by owner that there are lots of beaches available in walking distance.

Plan to rent a car, bring car seat, eat at cool restaurants, go to the beach.

Plan to bring life jacket for toddler; now I am nervous about the "rough water" I read about in another thread. He won't be on his own at all; I'm hoping it will be manageable...

Just wanting to go to the beach, swim in pool, see Tulum ruins, Sian Kaan and go to good restaurants.

Is the process of arriving at Cancun airport and renting a car fairly simple? Hoping it doesn't take too long...

10 replies to this topic
Kansas City...
reviews: 5
1. Re: Tulum w/ 2 year old advice?

If you'll be with you little one and have a life vest, then the water should not be an issue. If it's rough, you won't want to get in anyway, but most little ones like to pay at the edge anyway.

Car rental is a snap, but rent online from one of the independent agencies before you go - don't rent from Hertz, Budget, etc. We use American/Caribbean car rental and have used EasyWay in the past. We like A/C because their rates include all the insurance you'll need so they end up being less expensive. There are lots of posts on the board regarding car rentals so you might check those out. Just don't let any of the posts freak you about about driving - it really isn't a big deal...really.

Edited: 9:12 am, July 10, 2014
Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
reviews: 6
2. Re: Tulum w/ 2 year old advice?

The surf is unpredictable. It's weather based, y'know. We have been going every summer since my 11 yr old was 3 months old. He has always worn a life jacket when playing in the water...even when he hasn't gone past his knees. The waves usually break a little farther out - in adult waist deep water and then ripple into shore.

The water can change throughout the day in terms of waves, etc. just take advantage of the times when you can get yourselves into the water. It will be more likely than not.

Portland, OR
reviews: 2
3. Re: Tulum w/ 2 year old advice?

My advice - you already have the life vest is a Rash guard suit for the little one. They get rashes easily in the hot & humid air. Bring rash ointments & baby powder. Been doing that with our 8 year old since she started tackling the waves of Tulum at 1.5. Put in on before sleep & it's gone in the AM.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
reviews: 23
4. Re: Tulum w/ 2 year old advice?

Great tip, Gal, I never thought of that, but life jackets definitely chafe!

What is the AirBnB called? 90 feet from the beach is pretty darned close; that indicates it's on the beach side of the road but I don't know of any pools other than Las Ranitas' in that area. So I'm guessing you'd be on the other side of the road? 90 feet is only 30 yards--that would be the distance of most hotel restaurants from the beach, so it sounds to me like they're being a bit generous. Not to a shady degree I don't think, I'd just want to know which side of the road I was on.

Are you planning on doing a lot of driving around once down there? Just wondering if you'd really need a car, though perhaps you prefer being in control of the child seat rather than trying to use it in taxicabs, I could see that for sure.

San Francisco, CA
reviews: 12
5. Re: Tulum w/ 2 year old advice?

I'm planning a trip with a 2 year old in November. I'm wondering how your trip went and if you have any tips. We still haven't figured out where we'll stay.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
6. Re: Tulum w/ 2 year old advice?

Seems like the OP is going in Oct. Is there anything we can help you with, Lombard?

San Francisco, CA
7. Re: Tulum w/ 2 year old advice?

Ah! Missed that detail.

I'm trying to figure out the best accommodations for us. I am leaning towards renting a place in Soliman Bay, reasons being: the water seems very calm, it seems like it will be quiet there, and we can have enough space that my husband and I will have somewhere to hang out when our girl naps, and after she goes to bed. My husband's point is that also means we can just have breakfast in our PJs and not worry about getting dressed and going anywhere. (My husband appreciates a slow start to the day.)

That said, I wouldn't mind staying in a hotel where we could find a multi-room accommodation and also have the benefit of some on-premises dining. So far, I haven't been too lucky at finding such a spot. Any ideas? or maybe I have answered my own question.

Charleston, South...
reviews: 17
8. Re: Tulum w/ 2 year old advice?

I have traveled with my daughter (now 23) since she was 6 mos. old.The sun really wears them out so don't over schedule and try to keep them on their nap times/regular schedule. Bring some snacks from home and familiar items like favorite cup/stuffed animal. Have fun.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
9. Re: Tulum w/ 2 year old advice?

There aren't many multi room hotels. One perfect room would be the master suite at La Zebra. Maybe a ground floor room at Ahau where you could sit on the deck after your 2 yr old goes to sleep. Also Villas Las Estrellas.

San Francisco, CA
10. Re: Tulum w/ 2 year old advice?

Don't worry anoncapecod, we don't mess with her schedule! She is a super sleeper. Tonight we had some guests visiting from out of town, and she marched away from dinner and demanded to be put to bed. We know how lucky we are so we don't push it in any way.

Thanks for those suggestions pepper. Ahau has availability so we might consider that. La Luna also had some good looking options but is fully booked. Oh well, that is how it goes with somewhat last minute planning.

Reply to: Tulum w/ 2 year old advice?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted