We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CAD or US $ in Tulum

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 15
CAD or US $ in Tulum

What's best to bring: US or Canadian $? Do you usually pay in pesos or $ in restaurants, taxis, etc.?

Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
1. Re: CAD or US $ in Tulum

Best to pay in pesos

Lots of places to exchange CND $ or use a bank affiliated ATM (Scotia, HSBC) and withdraw pesos

I would not exchange Cnd $ to US$ in Canada and then use it in MX

I get 3000 pesos in Canada (at a Exchange Hose) and get more at the HSBC ATM in the San Fran grocery store

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 56
2. Re: CAD or US $ in Tulum

Right.

US$ isn't the king it used to be; bring it only if you already have it. C$ bills (not coins) can be exchanged at counters, but generally the best option is the Bank-branded ATM. The airport has a few.

Toronto
reviews: 15
3. Re: CAD or US $ in Tulum

Thank you!

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 9
4. Re: CAD or US $ in Tulum

Don't even think about CDN $$; if you can exchange them you will pay a premium. You can take Peso's but why? Take lots of small denomination US bills for tips etc plus a couple of 50/100's for emerg. Whatever you do not spend you can keep for next trip. No hotel employee is going to thank you for getting a loonie as a tip!

Sherwood Park...
reviews: 6
5. Re: CAD or US $ in Tulum

Doug2053

is giving very bad advise. you will take a 30% beating if you take his advice. Best to get Pesos from a Bank ATM in Mexixo. If you have a Scotiabank card and can the Scotia bank it will cost you no fees.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
6. Re: CAD or US $ in Tulum

Many places exchange Cnd $, usually about 10.5 to 11 to one

Not bad - just returned

ATMs are still the best way to go

Don't agree with Doug on pesos but that's my humble opinion and many trips there

Reply to: CAD or US $ in Tulum
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted