We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good beach accommodation for Solo Travellers

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Good beach accommodation for Solo Travellers

I’m a female in my early 30s and I will be in Tulum for 7 days at the end of July/beginning of August.

I’m looking for a place by the beach that’s relaxed, not too expensive and ideally a little bit lively, possible even sociable. I’m definitely not seeking a party place – I would go to Cancun for that. I just don’t like the thought of being Billy-no-mates surrounded by honeymooners who would give me pitiful looks traveling on my own. Somewhere with a relaxed atmosphere where I can possibly have a chat with other travellers over a beer in the evening would be great!

For half of the time I’ll be staying at Ahau Tulum which feels like the perfect place but I still need something for 3 nights in early August. My shortlist with hotels that fit my budget ($100 -$120 per night) includes Coco Tulum, Nueva Vida de Ramiro and Hotel Amoreira.

Any piece of advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited: 12:19 pm, July 11, 2013
Los Angeles
reviews: 1
1. Re: Good beach accommodation for Solo Travellers

Hello,

I am planning on going to Tulum this December over the X-mas holidays solo--can you please tell me where you ended up staying and if it was good and good for solo travellers? Also, any other information you can give me on your experience would be wonderful. Unfortunately non of my friends can come wtih me and I really want a relaxing beach vacation, and plan to go to day trips of ChichenItza and other ruins.

Thx! hope you have a great trip!

Soleil

Los Angeles

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 74
2. Re: Good beach accommodation for Solo Travellers

" I just don’t like the thought of being Billy-no-mates surrounded by honeymooners who would give me pitiful looks traveling on my own."

I don't think you have to worry about this in any way. Tulum isn't that type of place. Lots of people there are travelling by themselves or with groups of friends. It is very laid back, come as you are sort of place. People do go there on their honeymoon, but those who do aren't the typical honeymoon type - they are all at the resorts farther north.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
reviews: 6
3. Re: Good beach accommodation for Solo Travellers

Ahau would be nice. Maybe also La Luna. Just saw a lady traveler on her own. Chatting with families, etc. Nice relaxed atmosphere.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 74
4. Re: Good beach accommodation for Solo Travellers

We didn't stay at Coco, but we went over there to hang out and it definitely seemed like a good place for a single traveler - lots of people in their 20s, early 30s, very friendly place, people hanging out.

Pittsburgh
reviews: 1
5. Re: Good beach accommodation for Solo Travellers

You would have fun at Casa de las Olas. I've seen single folks there before. It is very quiet, but if Jimmy or Sam are around, you'll likely meet other guests and have some impromptu dinners in and out. The small downstairs room is fairly cheap.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
reviews: 21
6. Re: Good beach accommodation for Solo Travellers

As a frequently solo traveler, I would probably not go so far south as Casa de las Olas, though that's a lovely property.

So you'll be at Ahau for a few nights, sharing a bathroom. I think all three places you mentioned as options will be great choices for you. Coco seems like a really nice place, though I believe that in August their rates jump a bit. Might want to ask, but rates are still likely at or under your stated budget.

Are you wanting to book those last nights in advance, or would you be willing to do it as a walk-up once you're there? Hotels always welcome people wanting to see rooms and asking about rates, so you might just spend some time one day walking up and down the beach and checking out places that catch your eye.

If you're not so inclined and want to book in advance, do check out the places you mentioned, maybe add Cabanas Tulum, with the fun bar/restaurant Ziggy Beach Club attached.

But don't worry about being "Billy no mates" (a phrase which I've never heard and would happily ignore if I ever did). Everyone is very cool in Tulum, I've often hit it off with couples staying near me. Bring a book to your meals (and a flashlight), but keep your eyes and ears open, I'm sure you'll meet whoever you'd like to meet (and the book gives you the excuse to avoid those you don't! LOL).

London, United...
7. Re: Good beach accommodation for Solo Travellers

You guys are awesome! Thank you so much for all your help!

I really liked the look of La Luna and Cabanas Tulum but so did other people as well unfortunately – it’s fully booked for the time I’m there. Casa de las Olas looked also very nice but the cheapest room they had available is $200 per night which is too much for me. I thought about Beachreader’s suggestion of not booking in advance but decided against it in the end. The beginning of August appears to be a busy time and since some places are already fully booked I don’t want to take the risk.

So I just booked a beachfront cabana at Coco Tulum!

Beachreader, I really like your idea with the book – especially the double functionality of it.

Once again, thank you very much everyone. I will report how it goes.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
reviews: 6
8. Re: Good beach accommodation for Solo Travellers

You picked a great spot for a solo traveler. Plus many interesting places to eat at right in the immediate area.

9. Re: Good beach accommodation for Solo Travellers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 17, 2014