We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum area, ruins, and general questions with small children

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. John's, Canada
reviews: 21
Tulum area, ruins, and general questions with small children

My family has a 7 night stay booked in the Dreams Tulum resort in April. My wife and I have two small children, ages 4 and 1. I desperately want to visit some of the Mayan sites as I've always been fascinated by this, however my wife is nervous about going outside the resort, when not on tours. Problem: Tours are crowded and I hoped to get to the sites early to avoid crowds!

Just plan on visiting the smaler, easier ruins of Tulum and Muyil, as the small kids might not enjoy the bigger ones.

Questions:

Do taxis have car seats for young children?

Can I rent a car for a day with car seats?

How dangerous is the Tulum area?

Is there any need to feel unsecure?

Are there typically any ammenities to cater for young children?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
1. Re: Tulum area, ruins, and general questions with small children

Try the Ek Balam ruins as well

tripadvisor.com/…31229967

Very safe in this area

Taxis / rental cars with infant car seats - always iffy - best to reserve ahead if able, or bring your own

sheffield, uk
2. Re: Tulum area, ruins, and general questions with small children

Coba ruins (about an hour from your hotel) are generally quieter than Tulum and you can take a "tricycle taxi" to the big pyramid there (two adults or one adult and a child in each "taxi") - the 4 year old might like that. You can still climb the main pyramid at Coba, which you can't at most of the other sites. It's nice and "jungly" too.

Charlottesville...
reviews: 125
3. Re: Tulum area, ruins, and general questions with small children

I can't answer your questions about the car seats, but we were there last December with our then 12 and 6 year old. We felt very safe leaving the resort and never felt uncomfortable off resort. We timed our arrival to the Tulum ruins to when the gates first opened. They weren't even running the tram from the main road/ dropoff to the ticket booth, yet. It was a longish walk and might be tough for a 1 and 4 year-old but I would assume you will have a stroller.

As far as crowds, at that time of the morning there were none. Like, at all. We shared the ruins with about 10 other people for the majority of the time we were there which was wonderful. Of course as time passed more people arrived but we stayed well ahead of them the entire time. It was a zoo by the time we left.

We took a taxi from Dreams and it was about 5-10 minutes. There are taxis at Dreams you can take; I think we went out to the front at about 7:40 or 7:45 and we just caught a taxi back at the ruins. There is an area where there are some souvenir stands and taxis, etc.

My husband and I had hoped to take the kids to Coba but they said that while they liked Tulum, it was enough for them. Next trip!

Oh- there really aren't kids facilities. There are the stands out by the dropoff where you can get something to eat and then a little shop at the ticket booth where you enter the actual site. We didn't go inside but it looked like you could get drinks. I'm not sure what else.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 80
4. Re: Tulum area, ruins, and general questions with small children

The Yucatan Peninsula is a very safe part of Mexico. If you look at various crime maps for Mexico, the whole of the Yucatan is very light on crime. I wouldn't worry about going off resort at all. We are going to the Yucatan Peninsula in a little over a month - we aren't even really staying at any resorts. In Tulum we are staying at Cabanas Tulum, which is a small hotel along the beach road.

You could take a taxi to Tulum ruins, then afterwards go down the beach road and spend some time at one of the restaurants there with a beach club - then take a taxi back to your resort.

Minnesota
reviews: 3
5. Re: Tulum area, ruins, and general questions with small children

The US State Department warns about the danger of traveling to certain parts of Mexico. The Yucatan penninsula to which you will be traveling is NOT on the State Department warning list.

I feel safer in this part of Mexico than I feel in the large US city in which I live. I sometimes stroll solo in selected areas at night. All my Mexican travel is "off resort."

I hope you enjoy your adventures off resort with your family.

St. John's, Canada
6. Re: Tulum area, ruins, and general questions with small children

Thanks all for your replies! I believe we're gonna stick to the two ruins I have chosen (Tulum and Muyil) as they are close and I'd like to keep the traveling down (especially if we opt not to take the car seat!). The four year old I'm not so worried about as he's quite tall. Considering taking a car seat, but don't see it working with cabs as not wanting to lug it around with us after we reach our destination! As for the 1 year old, we have a backpack for her. I think when we get there my better half will see that it's safe and we can relax a little more. Was thinking about visiting a beach after the Tulum ruins and have seen alot of good advice here on the forums. Anyone been to Dreams Tulum that can comment on whether or not the beach there is comparitable to Ziggys or Playa Paraiso?

Thanks again!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
7. Re: Tulum area, ruins, and general questions with small children

Dreams Tulum beach is soso and does not compare to the other Tulum beaches

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya
reviews: 6
8. Re: Tulum area, ruins, and general questions with small children

Is leaving your wife at the resort with the kids while you take off on your own an option?

Of course, I totally get it if it's not but just tossing the idea out since no-one else seems to have mentioned it. It might make your wife happy too because no matter how safe we all tell you it is down there, if she doesn't feel comfortable leaving the resort, then there's probably not much point in pressing the issue. After all, happy wife, happy life!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

St. John's, Canada
9. Re: Tulum area, ruins, and general questions with small children

haha...not the preferred option, but might be necessary! I think that once there it will be realized that it is a heavily touristed and safe area.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
reviews: 6
10. Re: Tulum area, ruins, and general questions with small children

Coba Ruins are nice - the bicycle taxis are wonderful!! You put one adult and one kid on each one - it's about 100 pesos just to got to the large pyramid and the structures along the way. 170 pesos to see the entire site (which many people don't see and I enjoy the quietness of it). Be sure to tip your driver!!

The backpack carrier is THE WAY to go with the one yr old. Paths at the ruins....any that you choose are difficult with a stroller.