We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun to Tulum car rental

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buenos Aires
reviews: 3
Cancun to Tulum car rental

Hi, we are going with my wife for 1 week to Tulum arriving at Cancun airport. Based on what I read it is worthy renting a car to have freedom to go to town, visit places, and having more freedom. Is it like that?

Is it Easyway a good option to rent the car?

Thanks!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
reviews: 22
1. Re: Cancun to Tulum car rental

It depends on how much traveling around you're going to do. Where are you staying? I used to rent cars all the time when taxis were not very common, but now I find that taking taxis around is really easy and ends up less expensive than renting a car. Well, maybe it ends up costing the same as renting a car if you add in the cost of taking a private transfer to and from the airport.

But if you're going to be doing a lot of tours and adventures on your own, going to Coba or Akumal or wherever, then yes, renting a car is a great idea.

And Easyway is a good company to work with.

What I've been doing lately is a combination of things. I take a private transfer to and from the airport, taxis for most things in Tulum and then rent a car just for a couple of days in Tulum for off-beach adventures. Easyway has an office in Tulum right across from the new Chedraui supermarket, very convenient.

I find now that when I'm at the beach, I tend to walk to beach restaurants, so I can go for several days without getting in a car, so I hated having a rental car sitting in the parking lot going unused.

And taking taxis around Tulum or walking means you can drink more! :-)

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
2. Re: Cancun to Tulum car rental

A weeks car rental at say $250 may be worthwhile a after subtracting a $150 transder, you get the freedom of a car for $100 for the week

Will be renting from Easyway my next trip for this reason

Austin
reviews: 61
3. Re: Cancun to Tulum car rental

Easy Way! In Feb one week $310 with FULL insurance or save $50 and go CDW.

west. pennsylvania
reviews: 9
4. Re: Cancun to Tulum car rental

Definitely--Yes and Yes-- based on many trips.

Poole, United...
reviews: 26
5. Re: Cancun to Tulum car rental

We have just returned from Tulum and would recommend a hire car but not Easyway

We rented from Easyway Cancun complete fiasco! We had chosen a VW Jetta auto and booked 4-5 weeks prior to our holiday

On arrival bundled into car along with 4 other tourists leaving 2 of their group behind and taken at speed to their lot which is off the airport. Once we got to the lot it was immediately obvious our car was not there! There were a few other parties there all in the same predicament none of us ended up with the car ordered. When we asked where and when our car was going to be ready we were told it was out the back being cleaned we went to have a look to find a beaten up old Tilda with no number plates both bumpers were falling off. We refused the car and were eventually offered another Toyota that was filthy but had number plates and appeared in one piece we took this car as we were tired it was late and we could not cope with the chaos! The car turned out to have dodgy brakes and misfired constantly but it got us around. I would not recommend Easyway the only easy part was their website and booking process but that counts for nothing if it does not actually translate into what you have ordered!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
6. Re: Cancun to Tulum car rental

Did they offer to bring you the correct car later in your trip? I've heard that happening to other folks, where the initial car was wrong but they brought the correct one later.

This is the first time I've heard of poor customer service from Easyway. A little loose, maybe, and not such great cars, but most folks seem really happy with the service overall.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
7. Re: Cancun to Tulum car rental

None of the cars I've ever rented, by the way, have been brand-new, and none of them had full tanks of gas, both things that we're used to here in the US for rental cars. I've had broken radios, windshield wipers, speakers, antennas, a/c and cigarette lighters. I've had dirty cars, cars with nasty little surprises from previous customers that should have been caught, cars with broken doors and windows.

It's definitely a different world down there in terms of rental cars!

Southern California
reviews: 1
8. Re: Cancun to Tulum car rental

Last trip my friend had a brand new Nissan Tilda that she rented from Easyway but she rents from them twice a year and sends other folks their way, so they probably give her a good treatment, I have only had cars where the radio did not work well but the experience was good.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 3
9. Re: Cancun to Tulum car rental

I was really worried about renting a car in Cancun for our drive to Tulum after reading some of the horror stories on this forum. We rented a van from Easyway. We needed room for two kids in car seats and three adults. We also had a lot of baggage. We were picked up in five minutes from the airport. Yes, the Easyway lot is your first clue you aren't back home--but the staff were efficient, savvy and considerate. When we returned, instead of bundling into another shuttle to go to the airport, Easyway staff drove us in the van to the airport. All charges were as expected, no one ripped us off--quite the opposite of the experiences I had been reading about here. If you're going to rent a car in Cancun, I'd go with Easyway.

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Coba
reviews: 12
10. Re: Cancun to Tulum car rental

I've had great cars and not so great cars-but I really didn't care if sand was on the floor or whatever. One car kept trying to stall out. As long as it got me from point to point. And here's my point :) if you're going to take sightseeing trips, want to snorkel and toss your gear in the trunk, plan on shopping trips, have kids or are sharing with another couple, a car can be cheap, convenient. If you're not planning on using much then don't rent. Or consider renting for one or two days.