We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cooler on the beach?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
portland, oregon
reviews: 14
Cooler on the beach?

We're staying at Cabanas Tulum (again) this April. I'm wondering how frowned upon it would be for us to have a cooler while laying on their sunbeds for some beer? I'll still be ordering food and cocktails but they sometimes don't have the beer we want or it's priced up too much. Maybe we should just keep the cooler in the room, eh?

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
reviews: 38
1. Re: Cooler on the beach?

The rule of thumb seems to be if the property has a bar/resto it is frowned upon to bring your own cooler. Even if ordering.

portland, oregon
2. Re: Cooler on the beach?

That's fair. Thanks for putting it in perspective.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
reviews: 6
3. Re: Cooler on the beach?

It might be frowned upon, but I would still do it if its just beer.

They do have a happy hour...well, six hours...two for one drinks noon-6 pm. Sometimes you need a margarita to go along with that beer....

Trail, Canada
reviews: 2
4. Re: Cooler on the beach?

We do this discretely all the time . People have accused me of being rude on forums but no waiters have ever complained . You could for instance go for a short walk with a beer and we always have lots of water and fruit in our cooler . I think the fact that you are actually staying at the property in question allows you even more rights in this regard . We recently stayed at two fancier hotels than is normal for us with full pool and beach waiter service . We politely declined any service and walked back to our room for another beach drink or to fill our cooler as we would normally do . At a stand alone beach club we order something right away and through our stay and tip well but we do consume some of our own as well , as we choose . Twenty peso beers or seventy peso beers can affect my decision making process . If you want to go long and go often you have to save a buck once in a while . Cheers

Edited: 2:36 pm, January 13, 2013
San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 80
5. Re: Cooler on the beach?

Speaking of happy hour :) what is offered at Ziggy Beach club during their happy hour?

Lacey, Washington
reviews: 40
6. Re: Cooler on the beach?

They offer two for one on all drinks all day from 12-6. They have a menu for the beach, but the food isn't dicounted that I recall. The food on this menu was really, really good by the way. Wonderful crab sandwich and a grilled sandwhich (can't remember the name) but it had meat and nicely grilled veggies. SO good I had it two days in a row. :)

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
reviews: 23
7. Re: Cooler on the beach?

Juanrojo, have you actually been served a 70 peso beer on the beach in Tulum? i've never seen more than 30, maybe 35.

As for coolers, I think that if you're buying a reasonable amount of food/drink from the restaurant, no one has a problem with a cooler to supplement. A few places don't like coolers because coolers often mean people have food in their units, and food in the units often means bugs and critters in the units. So bear in mind that animals WILL find your food unless it's really really well packed. Packed, for example, in a cooler with the lid closed and weighted. :-)

Trail, Canada
reviews: 2
8. Re: Cooler on the beach?

Beachreader are you being funny ? I would go thirsty before paying even 50 pesos and have done so . Frugal doesn't really cover it for me . I'll pay whatever airfare we must but I can do without something if prices are too high . I was referring to Mexico in general and not just Tulum but we always ask prices before ordering and decide accordingly . I should add that we mostly picnic on a blanket in Quintana Roo by choice .

Calgary
reviews: 11
9. Re: Cooler on the beach?

I am glad you asked this question and am wondering the same thing. We are staying at NVR and understand their restaurant is across the street but they do offer service on the beach (although not sure of hours).

We were planning on a small cooler with some water and likely a few coronas.

Is this OK to do? I am sure we will be dining at their restaurant and are spending 11 nights at the hotel.

I didn't think it was rude to expect to have our own drinks in the room and on the beach...but we are new to Tulum and NVR, so please let me know if this against NVR policies.

Thanks

portland, oregon
10. Re: Cooler on the beach?

We had a cooler in our room last time and kept it pretty discreet by bringing a beer or two at a time to the beach. We also kept a big water jug in the room.