We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Fare Increase

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
reviews: 58
Taxi Fare Increase

According to media reports, taxi fares in Tulum have now been increased with the minimum fare being 25 pesos. These rates should be displayed in the taxi but if not, ask to see them.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
1. Re: Taxi Fare Increase

Most of the times its 75-80 pesos for any short trip

e.g. Akumal to Yal-Ku

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
reviews: 6
2. Re: Taxi Fare Increase

Me too...short trip from OM to La Luna - 80 pesos!!! But it was late, I didn't have on any shoes and my youngest son was with me...so I didn't want to wait for another cab.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
3. Re: Taxi Fare Increase

The 25 pesos is the minimum fare within Tulum. Most area taxi companies are raising the prices. The one in Cozumel is about the same at 25 pesos. Few tourists pay that in Cozumel because they go to outside the center. I am sure its the same in Tulum. But I imagine you will see any fare you have been paying in Tulum, go up.

Vancouver
reviews: 25
4. Re: Taxi Fare Increase

All the cabbies in playa last night were trying to do 90p for a ride from playa car into town.

Wilton, CT
5. Re: Taxi Fare Increase

Any idea how much it would cost to get from the beach area in Tulum into town?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
reviews: 6
6. Re: Taxi Fare Increase

The beach area in Tulum is lengthy. Look at the map on Tulummaps.com to see the location of your hotel. Taxi could be anywhere from $50-150 pesos.

Atascadero...
reviews: 56
7. Re: Taxi Fare Increase

"These rates should be displayed in the taxi but if not, ask to see them."

I've taken multiple trips to mainly beach tourist areas in Mexico over the last 20 plus years and have never seen fares posted anywhere inside a taxi no matter how new it is.

I think most travelers would confirm my observation and concede that a taxi ride in most parts of Mexico are a verbal and mostly non-verbal agreement between the driver and passenger.

I guess my point to the uninitiated is that they shouldn't expect to see a big city "meter" or prominently displayed fare rates, etc. in the cab. If they know the rough distance to where it is they desire to go and can ask the driver about the fare, do so and judge for yourself if seems fair.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
8. Re: Taxi Fare Increase

Agree, Tim. In over 35 years of using taxis in Mexico, I have never seen rates displayed. I always prefer taxis in cities like Merida, with many taxi companies and most taxis are metered. It still pays to have a little idea of the area to assure they take a direct route but I have rarely had a problem.

9. Re: Taxi Fare Increase

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, January 02, 2014