We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Trip to Tulum

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
reviews: 14
Planning a Trip to Tulum

Highly considering a week long vacation to Tulum around the end of January or beginning of February. I'm really just looking for a place with beautiful beaches and relaxation. Any recommendations for other places are welcome.

A couple of questions about Tulum:

1) Is a car really necessary? My bf and I would probably prefer not to drive while on vacation. I realize that we would have to take a taxi into town, and I figure we'd probably do that on most days. Would it be cheaper just to take a taxi than to rent a car for 6-7 days?

2) What recommendations do you all have for excursions (for example, would want to visit the ruins, Sian Kian, etc)? For the sake of convenience, I sort of prefer organized tours that include transportation. Are there any websites or companies I should look into? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
reviews: 6
1. Re: Planning a Trip to Tulum

Assuming you'll take a private transfer to your hotel in Tulum and then taxi when needed - it comes out more expensive this way vs renting a car ( of course it depends on what type of car). Also depends on how often and how far your taxi rides are. Many of us get to the beach and never want to go into town.

Do you know where you staying? Your hotel will have good suggestions for organized tours. Mine have all been DIY with a rental car. But check out Edventures. There's somebody Beachreader has used and liked - I think Yucatreks. She's down there now; so it may take a few days to get a response from her.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
2. Re: Planning a Trip to Tulum

Pepper: they can also do an ADO bus to Tulum via playa and a short taxi

2 tour companies that are local to Tulum are edventuretours.com and itourmexico.com

Ruins - Ek Balam, Coba, cenotes, a visit to more of an authentic town called Valladolid

Utrecht, The...
reviews: 65
3. Re: Planning a Trip to Tulum

For trips into the biosphere Sian Ka'an contact http://cesiak.org/. We did the canal tour and loved it.

NYC
4. Re: Planning a Trip to Tulum

How much would it be to rent a regular automatic car from cancan for 1 week?

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 77
5. Re: Planning a Trip to Tulum

We are going to Tulum without a car in March. We will be there for 5 nights. The plan is to visit Tulum ruins, Sian Kaan biosphere, snorkle, visit a cenote or two. We will arrive by ADO bus and then walk, bike, or taxi where we want to go, or take an organized tour when it makes sense.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
reviews: 6
6. Re: Planning a Trip to Tulum

Trish- take a look at the rental rates on Cancunrentacar.com. They clearly list prices with insurance so there are no surprises. Rates will depend on size of car.

NYC
7. Re: Planning a Trip to Tulum

Trip is coming up in a few days. After some thought, I've decided not to rent a car from Cancun. A few questions:

1. We arrive in Cancun at 1.10pm and plan on taking the ADO bus. Are we better off waiting for the direct bus to Tulum at 3:50 or taking a sooner bus to PDC then from there to Tulum?

2. In the event that we end up deciding to rent a car in Tulum, what rental companies are there and how much should we expect to spend for about 5 days for an automatic car?

3. Is Chichen Itza an absolute must-see or are we ok just seeing Coba/Tulum ruins?

4. We are staying at Cabanas Tulum for 7 nights and have 6 full days. Is it worth it to take a day trip to PDC? If so, any recs on what to do there and how to plan out the day?

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Coba
reviews: 12
8. Re: Planning a Trip to Tulum

You don't know how long it will take from "arrival" time to actually get through everything and out of the terminal and on your way. Personally, I would figure maybe an hour -maybe shorter, maybe longer but just something to go on. So Now it's after 2:00PM. Personally, I would just chill with a drink for and hour and half ans wait for the Tulum bus rather than switching. If by some chance you zoom through-THEN consider the PDC/Tulum route.

Chichen Itza is the famous one but also the farthest and most crowded,commercial. Coba is nearer Tulum, is gaining in popularity and has a climbable pyramid and buildings that can be entered. Hint: get a guide - arrange to split the charge with another couple or family, it is kind of steep.

Vail, Arizona
reviews: 16
9. Re: Planning a Trip to Tulum

We're renting an automatic sedan from Easy Way in Cancun for $341.00 (includes FULL insurance) for the week of Feb. 3-10.

Spokane, Washington
10. Re: Planning a Trip to Tulum

We have been to the area several times. We take a transport from the airport. And use taxis when going into town. They aren't very expensive and there's always one available. We rented a car once to go to Chichen Itza. We decided we would not do that again it is much safer and easier to go with a tour group.

We only had one minor insedent but we've heard to many stories. You can book smaller tours so you have more control of the places you go and time.

We have not gone to Coba yet but plan to on our trip this year. Of the ruins so far the Tulum ruins are my favorite. Depending on where your staying you may be able to rent a bike to get there. We also enjoy snorkling in Akmul. We find that a lot of people plan to many tours. Most of our best times are hanging out on the beach and visiting all the little beach bars.