We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neuva Vida, Playa Azul or Playa Mambo

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary
reviews: 11
Neuva Vida, Playa Azul or Playa Mambo

Hello, hoping for some advice on these three properties.

Looking at Viento room at Neuva Vida, #7 or #11 at Playa Azul or the Green or Orange cabana at Playa Mambo.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Any key differences between these properties I should be aware of? They are all almost the exact same rate (around $145 including taxes) and believe they all include some type of breakfast.

We are early 40's couple, looking for a place with decent room/deck/patio privacy, little- to no families with some other restaurants/bars in a reasonable walking distance. A not too rocky water entry and not overly crowded beach area would be nice too. We tend to like a more hippy/laid back type crowd.

We may look at splitting and spending 9 nights at Neuva and 6 at one of the other properties. Would consider places with rooms up to about $170-$190 taxes and breakfast in for the 6 nights.

and if any other suggestions in case I am missing something - have checked out OM, Hip and Luv as well but concluded the options above are probably best. Zebra did not have what we wanted for dates and waiting to hear back from Las Ranitas.

Thank you!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
reviews: 23
1. Re: Neuva Vida, Playa Azul or Playa Mambo

Great information in your post, but may I ask when you're traveling? Knowing which season is a big help in choosing based on costs.

All of the properties you mention have great beach and water entry, no rocks that I know of at any of them, even under the water.

Viento del Mar room at NVR will have the most privacy on your deck because it's up so high, but that is also a wee bit of a drawback. Those two rooms (Viento and Estrella del Mar, I believe) are built on top of the Casa Mexicana, which is itself built on stilts, so it feels like you're climbing to the third floor and the steps are typical of the area, meaning high and steep. If you're reasonably fit this shouldn't be a problem, I just like to mention it to make sure people are aware. If that's OK, I would probably choose NVR for your other needs as well. Great beach set up, and the staff set up chairs/beds/umbrellas only for the number of guests they have each day, so you won't feel crowded, ever.

At Playa Mambo, they leave their full quota of chairs out on the beach at all times, so it never feels empty. And at Playa Azul, which seems like a fun place, they have a more "beach club" vibe than the others. NVR is always quiet.

Good that you know to check each hotel's prices for taxes and breakfast--some include one and not the other, some include both or neither in their rates.

I would suggest you look again at LuvTulum, but I know they've raised their rates. Their rooms have good space and good privacy and good design overall.

At La Luna, the Captain Dale unit is probably out of your price range, and apart from Marrakech the other beachfront units don't have a lot of privacy on their patio space. But the new Marco Polo room has lots of space and a super private deck above the restaurant--just not a view of the water from there because the restaurant palapa rises up in front of it.

Tita Tulum is pretty basic in terms of decor, but they include taxes in their rates and I believe the rates are right in your range or even lower. #5 is the best IMO, #1 maybe second best. Those are the two rooms at the beach end of the 'V' of rooms, the numbers move up from them. 2,3,4 on the '1' side, 6,7,8,9 on the '5' side. 4 and 7 are upper units and would also have good privacy.

Calgary
2. Re: Neuva Vida, Playa Azul or Playa Mambo

Thank you so much, we are looking at February 2013.

I forgot about LaLuna, believe I checked it out but they are booked for our tentative dates for the rooms that we liked and were affordable. Really like the looks of La Luna!

I think Luv came back to me with rooms at $225 and $245.

So much to learn!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
reviews: 6
3. Re: Neuva Vida, Playa Azul or Playa Mambo

I haven't at any of the places you mention, but I've heard that NV has a good breakfast included. It seems that PM's breakfast was sparse in the past...not sure if it still is.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
4. Re: Neuva Vida, Playa Azul or Playa Mambo

Wow, didn't realize Luv's prices had gone up so much, yikes.

What do you think of Tita Tulum? Not much design-wise, but such nice decks and hammocks and space.

But really, if the stairs aren't a problem for you, NVR is a great option. Viento seems to be the room that actually has a huge patio that wraps around the north side of the building and gives you full privacy. They book up quickly, so I don't want you to lose out by considering a million other options.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
reviews: 41
5. Re: Neuva Vida, Playa Azul or Playa Mambo

Can't help with the comparison, having been only to NVR. Viento del Mar is an excellent room. Large, with a great sea breeze almost all the time. Nice small modernish bathroom. Superb wrap-around deck with great views - nice place to relax and take in the view, read, or socialize. Only downside is the stairs to it are a bit steep,

We really enjoyed it - my fav of the handful of rooms we've seen or stayed in there. Light breakfast is included. The staff is excellent and the location is superb - within easy walking distance of 5-6 good restaurants, as well as miles of near-empty beach.

Calgary
6. Re: Neuva Vida, Playa Azul or Playa Mambo

Thanks everyone.

I checked out Tita at $160-$190 per night taxes in (don't think there is breakfast) , concerned with multi-beds in rooms that there will be a number of kids and the place just didn't seem appealing ...not bad in any way, just not great when compared to what we can get in the same price range.

Think if we end up going will look at NVR and possibly some nights at Playa Azul.

Thanks again!!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
7. Re: Neuva Vida, Playa Azul or Playa Mambo

Good point about Tita--it is definitely a more family-friendly place.

Go for the Viento room at NVR, you really can't go wrong there!

Minneapolis...
reviews: 1
8. Re: Neuva Vida, Playa Azul or Playa Mambo

Hi! I couldn't help notice that the OP had said they were waiting to hear back from Ranitas...I was curious if you ever did (I scanned through this read and I didn't notice that they did). I have tried contacting them three times via email, with no luck, over the last week or so. I don't know if that's normal or not, but every other hotel I emailed responded within 24 hours so I was surprised to get no response.

We are taking our first vacation to Tulum in January 2013! Can't wait!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
reviews: 6
9. Re: Neuva Vida, Playa Azul or Playa Mambo

Sometimes emails from hotels go into spam/bulk and not your inbox. Did you check? If not, well, I hope they can improve their response time. For the price of Las Ranitas, one would expect a quicker response.

Calgary
10. Re: Neuva Vida, Playa Azul or Playa Mambo

no response from Las Ranitias other than this:

Dear michelle

Thank you for contacting us.

A hotel representative will get in touch with you shortly.

Please do not answer this e-mail.

Las Ranitas

Forget everything...you are in paradise

www.lasranitashotel.com

reserve@lasranitasecoboutique.com