We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from airport to Dreams

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Travel from airport to Dreams

Can someone tell me how long it take to get to the Dreams resort in Tulum from the airport? Also, what is the safest and most economical way to get there?

Thanks!

JEfferson, IA
1. Re: Travel from airport to Dreams

Hi - we just returned from a 1-week stay at Dreams Tulum. We booked our vacation through Apple and paid the additional cost for the private transfer. It took approximately 90 minutes to get to the resort from the airport and 80 minutes on the return trip (little less traffic). Our first night there we talked with another couple that had not paid the extra and it took them 3 hrs. to get from the airport to the hotel (they were on an Apple bus that was dropping other Apple vacation people off at the other various hotels and since Dreams is the furtherest from the airport it can take a long time). Another couple had also not paid for the private transfer but they were in an Apple transfer van and so only stopped at 2 or 3 other hotels before arriving at Dreams and so it only took them slightly over 2 hrs.

I felt it was definitely worth the additional cost (I don't have my paperwork with me so am not sure of the exact cost) because I wanted to be able to spend every available minute at the resort and not on the road. That is especially true for the return trip as they want you at the airport 2 hrs ahead of your departure time and so if you do not have the private transfer you may be leaving up to 5 hrs ahead of your flight time.

There are taxis available at the airport but I am not sure what the cost would be to take a taxi all the way to the Dreams Tulum.

I hope your trip is as good as ours was. I will post a trip report in the next couple of days.

Cindy

New Jersey
reviews: 11
2. Re: Travel from airport to Dreams

Where transfers included in your price? Most of the time they are. In June, we didn't pay extra for a private transfer and it took us about 90 minutes to get to the resort. We did make two other stops since we had time-share tour people in our van. It's mostly highway driving and you don't see the beaches. A week later, we left the resort at about 11 a.m. to catch a 2 p.m. flight and again with some stops, we got to the airport in plenty of time. When we go this time in April (the resort is that fabulous that we are going back), we are travelling with another family and may luck out and get a van all to ourselves. I don't think it's worth paying extra for a private cab (use that money to tip the fine staff while you are there). However, if it's a major concern to you, then start your vacation off with what seems right to you. My only problem with the van, and even with some of the cabs, was that the seatbelts were broken. You'll have a great time!

JEfferson, IA
3. Re: Travel from airport to Dreams

OK just checked by vacation docs and the private transfer cost an additional $100. As the previous post said you may get lucky and be in a van with just a couple of stops or you may end up in a bus with a dozen or more stops. I definitely thought the extra cost was worth it.

Also, please consider tipping the staff at the resort. They are wonderful people and make soooooo much less than we do.

Another suggestion I would make is to contact via email the manager of the resort to ask about any specific questions or to make any specific requests. Have a great trip.

Wisconsin
4. Re: Travel from airport to Dreams

Thanks for the help! I will definately look into it:)

New Jersey
reviews: 11
5. Re: Travel from airport to Dreams

I wasn't aware that they transport in buses too. I thought just vans. Wow, a bus could carry more people and make more stops... that's not good. In June, one of the reasons we didn't have a long ride was that we went from Wednesday to Wednesday and the airport wasn't crowded. This time we are going from Saturday to Saturday during a holiday week. Maybe we should look into the private transfer too. Is that $100 each way and for how many people? Thanks!

JEfferson, IA
6. Re: Travel from airport to Dreams

It was an additional $50 per person and that took care of transportation both ways. If I remember correctly the couple that was on the bus had arrived on a Monday.

North Texas
7. Re: Travel from airport to Dreams

We were just there--got in on the 13th--left the airport at 1PM and at 2:45 we were sitting in the resturaunt at Dreams. We were on one of the apple vans & made 3 quick stops on the way. Coming back we left at 12, made 2 or 3 stops and were at the airport by 2.

Mary

Denver
8. Re: Travel from airport to Dreams

Just got back from Dreams. It took close to two hours to get there in the van as we made three stop on the way.

Returning to the airport took three hours thanks to a blown tire on the van, and then once we secured a taxi for the rest of the trip, it started raining which caused three traffic accidents in a three kilometer stretch just south of PDC. Navigating the wrecks took almost an hour. Not a fun trip, believe me. But, we did get to the airport on time.

TN
reviews: 3
9. Re: Travel from airport to Dreams

Our direct nonstop transfers took 1 hr and 15 mins. Very much worth it the extra expense. With Apple transfers you're pretty much rolling the dice - it could end up being a "3 hour tour"!