We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping -- US$ or Pesos

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa
reviews: 67
Tipping -- US$ or Pesos

HI folks,

I'm a Canadian just wondering which is better for the people in Mexico. Should I tip in US dollars or in Mexican PESOS.

Please advise.

Jason

reviews: 3
1. Re: Tipping -- US$ or Pesos

I just got back from Playa and Tulum. I asked our cab driver about this. He said it really didn't matter as long as the tip was the same amount. Sometimes we left dollars and sometimes pesos - whatever we had on hand. The exchange rate was around 10 pesos to $1. There is a 20 peso note which equals about $2, so we often left these for tips for our maid. Our cab driver (we spent several hours with the same driver because he drove us from Tulum to Playa and then waited for us and gave us a little tour of the area) was telling us a story about some ladies from Texas who made a big deal of saying that they would pay him in US DOLLARS rather than pesos. He explained that this is no advantage to him. He buys his groceries, etc. in pesos. So, unless you are going to give a bigger tip in dollars, pesos are fine.

reviews: 2
2. Re: Tipping -- US$ or Pesos

We just got back from EDSS and we took US dollars when we ran out of US ones we exchanged at the resort they gave us pesos so we started handed out 20 pesos I would leave the maid 20 pesos everday on the pillow then when we left i just left a bunch of stuff i did not want to take back accessories etc. We also tip the bartender Alfredo my husband gave him 15 US dollars he was terrific and they the waiters we gave them 20 pesos everytime they served us breakfast lunch and dinner so it does not really matter

Ottawa
reviews: 67
3. Re: Tipping -- US$ or Pesos

Thanks guys! Looking forward to my trip.