We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Maarten or Tulum?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
reviews: 1
St. Maarten or Tulum?

Which is better for C/O sun and relaxation?

Williamsport...
reviews: 22
1. Re: St. Maarten or Tulum?

Can't say anything about St. Maarten but Tulum is wonderful for relaxation. And if you want to be in a more pivate setting w/ not many people to share the beach with, I recommend Tierras Del Sol (if you are into the cabana syle rather than hotel). It is soooo peaceful there and even though it is a small place you still get the feeling of privacy as there are only 5 or 6 cabanas.

Tulum is a very relaxing & laid back place.

Northwest Ohio
reviews: 15
2. Re: St. Maarten or Tulum?

I have been to St. Maarten twice and the Yucatan about 20 times. Hands down Tulm is much nicer. I felt the people in St. Maarten were very rude and none of the hotels are all that great. Food is terribly overpriced. The only good thing is the jewelry shopping, great prices.

Dallas, TX
reviews: 8
3. Re: St. Maarten or Tulum?

Tulum- I dont know how everything looks now, but pre hurricane beaches are far and away more beautiful. St. Maarten (and St. Martin)are pretty active, unless you're staying somewhere small and secluded. Tulum is more spread out, less developed and almost too relaxing. And, if you are not aware, your $$$ will go probably go 4-5x's further in Tulum. That said, St Maarten is a beautiful place with great food and shopping, but Tulum is more relaxed and friendly.

Florida
reviews: 1
4. Re: St. Maarten or Tulum?

Thanks so much for your advice! Looks like tulum is a better place for us. Can anyone suggest a place similar to Cabanas Copal where "clothing optional" is more common? Thanks!

Ashtabula, Ohio
5. Re: St. Maarten or Tulum?

Tulum, Tulum, Tulum! Less expensive, more beautiful beaches, friendlier locals. You can't go wrong.

Williamsport...
reviews: 22
6. Re: St. Maarten or Tulum?

I recommend Nueva Vida de Ramiro and/or Tierras del Sol, they are both AWESOME (that is if you are looking for quiet & secluded. They are both clothing optional as well, though most women we saw were not fully nude...we did see one completely nude couple once though.

If you are looking for a place w/ more action you will want to stay up closer to Copal.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Pittsburgh
reviews: 10
7. Re: St. Maarten or Tulum?

both are very beautiful and relaxing. If you choose St. Martin it is more relaxing on the French side. We stayed at the La Meridian. It was Very secluded and the beach, water and hotel were beautiful! All beaches are topless if you choose. Orient Beach is a beautiful beach also and it is clothing optional.

The restaurants on the French side are out of this world--great French cooking! La Vin Rose and Sole Et Luna were incredible. You can also find many restaurants grilling lobster outside on their patios!

That said I think you will have a wonderful time in either location!