We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eldorada royale

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 4
eldorada royale

I have read a posting from the Karisma site

stating that the resort will be open Nov 8th

this sounds to good to be true as other posting have airport still closed has anyone seen or heard of the damage to EDR anything would be great

reviews: 5
1. Re: eldorada royale

Hello, I am an evacuee from the EDR. From everythig we have heard the bottom floor rooms got water and sand damage. The main lobby got some windows blown out, even with all the boarding up they did. The swing is gone, and those little huts that you sit under at the beach are all gone. We were on the 3rd floor on the beach and hopefully we will get our luggage back. We had to leave it there per the management. I too do not believe that it will be up an running by the 8th. We have found out from talking to the Karisma people that the old saying "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is" is indeed true. They lied everyday to us, while they were in a hotel somewhere and we were in a shelter sleeping on a concrete floor.

Orlando, Florida
reviews: 1
2. Re: eldorada royale

ormester,

which building were you in? we were on the beach too, but 2nd floor...i can't believe this happened :-(

Rhode Island
3. Re: eldorada royale

ormester,

Very sorry to hear about your experience during Wilma.

Who told you about the condition at EDR? Did you mean to say that the swing bar is no longer there? Is it really true that all the employees were fired? I'm really struggling with this one, because we knew some amazing people that worked there! I really hope this is not the case, and that it was just a misunderstanding during all the confusion. I sent an e-mail to Karisma to get more information, but they have not responded. We are members and scheduled to go on a family[6-adults] vacation at the end of December. I'm really trying to find out more information about the condition. The Exotic travelers member website shows the web-cam as of 10/24/2005 at about 4 pm. [when were you evacuated?] I wish they'd turn it back on so we could see the damage, and the work in progress.

If you have any updates on EDR, I'd greatly appreciate it.

4. Re: eldorada royale

Hello Cateyes,

We were in room 4025. I am so sorry that we did not get to meet. We were in the shelter in the last room on the second floor towards the library. We were the room that everyone was talking about. Some people in our room had more than one mattress. We did not make it out of the shelter untill the 23rd. We then went to the Holiday Inn. We met some really great people though on this trip. If you would like to email me so I can get your addresse, my email addresse is ormester1@excite.com. I can send you some pictures of the Reef and the school. I learned something also, DO NOT TRAVEL TO THE CARIBEAN DURING HURRICAINE SEASON! I looked so forward to this trip for so long and I can't believe that it was messed up due to the weather. We really thought it would turn towards Cuba. Even if it had made landfall in Cancun, it would of been fine if it had been normal and just move on. I really don't anticipate on getting our luggage back. Even if we do, I wonder if any of the rooms have been looted. I really hope not.

5. Re: eldorada royale

Hello ideverna,

Yes it was the swing bar. I am sorry, I did not get hardly any sleep all week due to sleeping on a concrete floor. I heard that some of the workers were fired directly from one of the workers herself. Some of them were sitting around in the hall talking to us. We were asking them about their homes and family and one girl just started balling. When I asked her what was wrong, she told me that when they get paid, they use a debit card. When they want to spend their money, they just use the card. One day, Karisma buss drivers took some of us to the mall in town. Some of the workers went also. They too didn't have any clothes. Some of them went to use their cards and they didn't work. When they returned, the man in charge was there. I can't remember his name. She inquired about the card and he told her that some of them had been let go. How terrible isn't it. We all took up a collection for the workers. They had this happen to them and still kept on working and smiling. Though some of the buss drivers quit but most of them stayed because we were 250 miles away from the hotel.

Brandie

Rhode Island
6. Re: eldorada royale

Brandie,

That is terrible about the workers. President Fox had indicated that no one would be let go. I hope they have since corrected the situation. I'd sent an e-mail to a couple of women who work in the member services office [off the main lobby], just prior to the hurricane. I also have e-mailed Juve, one of the Concierge staff, but I haven't heard back from anyone. My family is suppose to be going there on Dec. 30th, and I hope they have recovered by then. It sounds like you went through a horrible experience. You take care, and get some rest!

Orlando, Florida
7. Re: eldorada royale

Hey Brandie,

We were in the newest and last building at the resort 54something??? It was on the 2nd floor. I kept thinking about you guys, b.c i remeber you telling me that you were supposed to get there on Wed the 19th. UGH WHAT A NIGHTMARE!! I am gonna email you to your email account. Do u think the luggage is really never gonna be returned to us? I HAD SO MUCH STUFF IN THERE!!!!!! :-(

8. Re: eldorada royale

Cateyes,

We just got off the phone with our travel insurance company and we are not going to get any money back for this vacation. They said they do not cover natural disasters. What a bummer. I did contact our home owners insurance though. I am filing a claim to try and get some money back for our Laptop computer and my husbands sleep apnia machine. I sure hope that we get our luggage back. I just don't feel very good about the whole thing. If they are going to reopen by the 8th, they better hurry up with the luggage if they are going to send it to us. They don't have but that one little room to store everyones luggage. It is not big enough for all of our luggage from Wilma plus the new people coming to the resort. I am just so upset that we paid 3000.00 for this wonderful vacation and only got 1 night. Maibe Karisma will give us a week since we paid and services were never rendered.

Brandie

Orlando, Florida
9. Re: eldorada royale

Brandie,

Check your email. I emailed you at ormester1@excite.com

Hilary

Amarillo, TX
10. Re: eldorada royale

Ormester: I'm glad you made it home safely, what a huge mess! I am so sorry that this all turned out bad for you. I remember you posting your concerns before your trip.

Hope you are doing well in spite of all that has happened, keep us posted.