We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xel-Ha vs. Xcaret

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, BC
Xel-Ha vs. Xcaret

I'm making a trip to BPT in March and was wondering if anyone had any comparisons between Xel-Ha and Xcaret. I really want to see some Mayan ruins and I've read online that they have some at Xcaret, so was wondering if it was worth going there for the ruins. I just thought it might be good to combine my husbands snorkelling interest with my ruins interest and get them both at Xcaret. My only worry is Xel-Ha seems to have better reviews. If anyone has seen them both, could you please give me your opinion. Thanks!

B.C.
1. Re: Xel-Ha vs. Xcaret

Catt, the snorkelling at X-caret was disappointing the river portion anyways (it was man made and we saw about 10 fish total), we did not get to Xel-ha so I can not do a comparison of the two.

Seattle
2. Re: Xel-Ha vs. Xcaret

Hi Catt3690,

It is not worth going to Xcaret for just the ruins. Your best bet if you want to do both ruins and snorkeling on the same day is do the Tulum and Xel-ha combined tour. The ruins at Tulum are real (you can do them in a couple of hours) and the snorkeling at Xel-ha is much better than at Xcaret. Have a great trip.

Canada
3. Re: Xel-Ha vs. Xcaret

We had a great time snorkeling at Xel-Ha. It is a beautil place with amazing amount of sea life to see. One tip though- you cannot brong your own sunscreen- you have to use organic. Try to find some before you go because it is extremely expensive there and if you dont have it you cannot use you own.