We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exchange from usd to pesos

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 6
exchange from usd to pesos

Me amd my boyfriend are going on our first vacation to PDC next week. We are staying at the riu palace riviera maya and I understand that there you cannot exchange at the hotel. It is all inclusive so we are not planning on spending any money on dinners or anything besides tips, souvenirs, and possibly excursions. How much money do you suggest we bring? Can we tip our bartenders and hotel cash in USD? Can we buy our souvenirs in town and from the hotel with USD? if not, where do you think is the safest place to exchange from USD to pesos?

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
reviews: 7
1. Re: exchange from usd to pesos

The hotel staff would love to have your usd in tips. Most shops and restaurants in Playa will accept usd. Every once and a while they will push for pesos only, but just to many American tourists and too many cambinos for the Mexicans to exchange those dollars. Make sure you come in to Playa to explore the pedestrian only 5th Avenue in the evening. Lots of fun, lots of street entertainment and so many places to get dessert or just a drink. Walk into Playa along the beach during the day to check out the beach bars and entertainment. All those folks will take your usd, as will the taxis drivers.

Edited: 9:20 pm, October 20, 2013
up north
reviews: 9
2. Re: exchange from usd to pesos

If you were exchanging a lot i would recommend a bank where you would get the best exchange rate. You would have to wait in line and leave a copy of your passport. For what you are doing i would bring some 50 dollar bills. There are little exchange booths on 5th ave that are fast and easy. The shop owners and taxis will pretend they dont have change and overcharge you.

colorado
reviews: 20
3. Re: exchange from usd to pesos

For 2 weeks, I would bring at least $200 is ones and another $200 in fives and tens as well. That's just for tips!

Try to make the bills fairly crisp if you can. I think they have trouble exchanging them if they are too worn out.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
4. Re: exchange from usd to pesos

sseeber : Where are you from (ps: edit your profile) : sounds like you are from the UK - if so get pesos in UK

If from the States, bring US$

Many of us use pesos as shopping / spending is better using the local currency

Edited: 10:53 pm, October 20, 2013
Sudbury, Canada
reviews: 2
5. Re: exchange from usd to pesos

We are here now, and we exchanged all our Canadian dollars into pesos before we left, except for the extra we brought in case we needed it. Today we saw much better rates of exchange of Canadian money at least, and we are "running out" of money already, so we will happily exchange our money for a better rate here after all. Next time, we will only exchange a little before coming, and keep the rest to exchange here for sure!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
6. Re: exchange from usd to pesos

Kanistis: What Canadian exchange rate did you see

7. Re: exchange from usd to pesos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, October 23, 2014