We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would like to know food prices at the Grand Mayan Market

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
IL
reviews: 56
Would like to know food prices at the Grand Mayan Market

Anyone been to The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya lately? Would love to get an idea of general prices for some common foods sold at the resort market. Milk, bread, cheese, meat, crackers,fruit, condiments, etc. Breakfast/lunch items mostly. We will be cooking/preparing some meals in our unit while there and wondered if we could get by without making the trip to Playa for groceries. Thanks.

Suggestions from fellow frugal Grand Mayan visitors appreciated :0)

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 2
1. Re: Would like to know food prices at the Grand Mayan Market

From what I remember

Eggs= $3. They are not in a fridge they are on shelfs so didn't bought.

Water = $2 big bottle. They gave you free bottle of water at the reception.

Bread= $4

Juice= $5 small bottle

If you order room service you'll get enough condiment for the week.

Room service is good and the meals are huge you can split or save some for the next day.

Bring plastic wrap.

Beer is $3 each at the store and $6 on room service or bar.

Internet service $75 for a week

Is you want to assist to timeshare presentation they give you 10% off you room bill and 1000 credit from the same bill. You also get a free breakfast.

With this our final bill was $700 for 3 persons

We only eat breakfast in our room.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
2. Re: Would like to know food prices at the Grand Mayan Market

¨Eggs= $3. They are not in a fridge they are on shelfs so didn't bought¨

Just for info, that is the way eggs or sold. I don´t recall ever see them in the fridge even in major supermarkets.

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 2
3. Re: Would like to know food prices at the Grand Mayan Market

Well here in Canada the eggs are refrigerated ;)

IL
4. Re: Would like to know food prices at the Grand Mayan Market

Nancy R - Montreal, Canada: Thank you very much. Appreciate your time in posting this list. Just what I was hoping to find. :0)

NY
reviews: 21
5. Re: Would like to know food prices at the Grand Mayan Market

We are going to Grand Mayan next week...can't wait! We have been to GM several times...love it!

We always go into Playa and shop at Walmart, however, if you do not want to do that you can always bring snacks from home, and buy items such as eggs, bread, etc at the GM. I found prices were about double...but it is convenient.

IL
6. Re: Would like to know food prices at the Grand Mayan Market

What sort of snacks will TSA and MX customs allow? Peanut butter? Crackers? I am of the understanding that within reason, you can bring foods that are factory sealed and non meat and non produce. Just wondering if it is worth the hassle. A trip to Playa may be necessary :0) Thank you all for your comments and tips. Counting the 'months' till we go. Don't want to wish my life away - but really looking forward to our trip.

NY
reviews: 21
7. Re: Would like to know food prices at the Grand Mayan Market

The first year I vacationed there, I has a suitcase full of items...but than we discovered Mega and Walmart...and there really is no reason to bring alot of snack, since everything can be purchased at Walmart or Mega. The prices are equal, plus it is fun to discover new items.

Enjoy your trip...I am beyond excited, we are leaving in 7 days!!!

Lake Saint Louis...
reviews: 20
8. Re: Would like to know food prices at the Grand Mayan Market

Prices definitely make it worth your while to go into PM to Walmart. We've stayed at GM twice. Once for 1 week, the second time for 2 weeks. Made the trip to Walmart because the market had very little variety and/or stock.it's been a couple of years since we were there. At the time, it was in the same building complex as their gift shop and most of the room in the building was given over to that. Restaurants/buffets were great, but very $$$$$$! Especially, if you have children!

baltimore
reviews: 52
9. Re: Would like to know food prices at the Grand Mayan Market

At the Mega and Walmart in Playa Del Carmen the eggs were not in the refrigerator. I was a little nervous at first about buying to because we keep eggs in the refrigerator at home. We had eggs every morning for breakfast and none of us got sick.

10. Re: Would like to know food prices at the Grand Mayan Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 03, 2014