We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stayed at RPDC 5 times. Need new rec on adults only, AI

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 8
Stayed at RPDC 5 times. Need new rec on adults only, AI

We've stayed at the RPDC and their location in Cancun 5 times. We enjoy the resort but the appeal has slipped a bit for us. Need recommendation for a new adults only, AI.

Criteria we are looking for:

Adults Only

All Inclusive

Good Food

Comfortable beds/nice air conditioned room

Reservations not needed for dinner

Not a mega size resort, 300 or less rooms

We spend our days laying out and then nice meal at night. We don't need lots of nightlife as I won't be drinking alcohol this year due to baby on the way.

Would appreciate recommendations. We will be traveling for a week in August.

Houston, Texas
1. Re: Stayed at RPDC 5 times. Need new rec on adults only, AI

Free wifi would be ideal as well. Thanks in advance for comments.

Athens, Greece
2. Re: Stayed at RPDC 5 times. Need new rec on adults only, AI

I was looking at Royal Hideway, Blue Diamond and Secrets Maroma/Capri/Silversands...........but some need reservations for dinner. Maybe try Excellence too. We like being on 5th, so we might go back to RPDC. Interesting post!

May I ask why RPDC appeal has slipped for you? I have only been once, and thought about returning, but researching resorts, I think there maybe some better ones out there.......

Edited: 4:30 pm, July 12, 2013
Houston, Texas
3. Re: Stayed at RPDC 5 times. Need new rec on adults only, AI

Last summer during our trip we noticed many differences and then learned they were under different management which explained much. We didn't have a bad time but the quality of food had gone down and our room never got cool. We really like the resort. Just not as we'll as years prior.

Sarasota, Florida
reviews: 24
4. Re: Stayed at RPDC 5 times. Need new rec on adults only, AI

We also love RPDC and RC but have had great times at other resorts also. We really enjoyed Secrets The Vine and I just returned from Paradisus La Esmeralda and can't wait to go back to La Perla with my husband. If we stay where reservations are required, we make them and if we want to change them we have never had a problem. We are going to RPDC again in Aug. and we are really excited because we took a break from there on our last few visits to Mexico. After many trips to different A1's I feel there is no such thing as a perfect resort. Some may have a nicer beach, pools, entertainment or food but they all have their exceptional points that make them special. My advice would be to try something different and the Royals will be there for your next vacation.

Ontario
reviews: 2
5. Re: Stayed at RPDC 5 times. Need new rec on adults only, AI

Hi jg1234. Totally understand what you are saying. We have been to the area about 25 times, staying 5 times at RPDC. Other resorts interspersed as well, of course. With all the building additions, RPDC just became a bit too big for us.

And no doubt about it, as life goes on, our priorities change, as I'm sure they have for you with a baby on the way. (And blessings to all 3 of you. Wonderful event !)

My suggestion is, check out Royal Hideaway Playacar. The only one of your criteria that is not met is the "no reservations" , as they are required for dinner. Simple procedure. Your concierge will look after it to your satisfaction.

We are returning to Royal Hideaway in November for our 6th visit. ( celebrating our 34th wedding anniversary while we are there). Really looking forward to it. (And no. It's not all Old Farts there LOL). People of all ages. Honeymoons, Babymoons, and just plain relaxing getaways.

Please feel free to PM me if I can help.

Illinois
reviews: 84
6. Re: Stayed at RPDC 5 times. Need new rec on adults only, AI

Secrets and Excellence resorts do not require reservations. I find that both chains are similar, so you could choose one based on location rather than other factors.

I do have to warn you that some people complain that the beds are too firm, at least at EPM, but we didn't notice it at all.

Houston, Texas
7. Re: Stayed at RPDC 5 times. Need new rec on adults only, AI

I appreciate the suggestions. I've been reading reviews all night and its so hard to make a decision. We take a trip each summer, no kids, but with baby 2 on the way we know that we may not be able to get away for a full week next summer alone so we want to really enjoy this trip. Good food, nice pools to layout at, and comfy beds are important this time around. In years past we have enjoyed other aspects of resorts but we just want a trip that will allow us to relax. The main reason I steer away from resorts that require dinner reservations is that we feel like we have to be on a schedule. We are on a tight schedule every day. On vacation we want to eat when we want to and not feel like we have to hurry and make a time slot should we decide to hang out more during the day. I know there are many great resorts to choose from. Decisions, decisions!

texas
reviews: 59
8. Re: Stayed at RPDC 5 times. Need new rec on adults only, AI

Have you looked at El Dorado maroma?....great beach( maroma beach very nice ), beds, food and service...no reservations....100 rooms :)

texas
reviews: 21
9. Re: Stayed at RPDC 5 times. Need new rec on adults only, AI

We just returned from secrets the vine and loved it. We also enjoyed the Valentin just a little tiny step down in service and food but still nice resort

queens, ny
reviews: 7
10. Re: Stayed at RPDC 5 times. Need new rec on adults only, AI

We have also stayed at both royal and truly enjoyed our stays. You should look into Leblanc in cancun and excellence playa mujeres which we also thought we great. We just returned from paradisus la Esmeralda with our son but they have la perla next door which is AO