We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunscreen Recommendation

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 28
Sunscreen Recommendation

There are so many sunscreen brands and I really don't know which one to choose. Therefore, I was wondering if there is one in particular that stands out from the others, based on your personal experience.

What SPF would you recommed for someone that plans to spend most of the day on the beach? Thanks!

18 replies to this topic
Lexington, Kentucky
reviews: 41
1. Re: Sunscreen Recommendation

I am very pale so I always use SPF 50, reapply often, and stay in the shade when not swimming. SPF 50 blocks 98% of the sun's rays, SPF 100 blocks 99% - so there's not really much difference. I don't have a particular brand that I use - we usually just buy whatever is on sale. I've not had good luck previously with the biodegradable/reef safe sunscreen, so if I'm on a tour that requires it, I will wear a rash guard.

Huntsville, Alabama
reviews: 21
2. Re: Sunscreen Recommendation

I am with KYM on the SPF (what I use comes in 45 and 55 at our Costco) and I used to use Coppertone Sport but have now started to use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch (used so far on 2 trips to Mexico and at home in our pool). I have very sensitive skin and the Neutrogena does not cause any issues for me which the Coppertone did.

We always start with a good slathering of lotion before heading outside (you should use an amount the size of a shot glass for your entire body) and then will reapply with Neutrogena spray (I like the Fresh Cooling SPF 45) multiple times during the day and then another slathering of lotion usually after lunch.

Edited: 1:30 pm, April 23, 2013
Teddington
reviews: 3
3. Re: Sunscreen Recommendation

I'm not sure if you have this in the US, but we love P20. It comes in 10 or 20 SPF - which sounds low but has been fine for me. This from someone who has just got sunburn in the back garden in England after a couple of hours! Should have used suncream:(. Anyhow P20 has protected the whole family in Egypt (where it was about 40 degrees), you apply it once a day and that's it. No need to reapply, even after swimming. Seriously good stuff. Works on my 13 yr old who hates applying cream, once a day is his limit. Protects so well that the 20 SPF is sometimes too good and I don't get a tan! Have never burnt using it. Amazon sell it.

Juliet

Chicago, Illinois
4. Re: Sunscreen Recommendation

Thanks for all the feedback received.

I was thinking of SPF 50 (give or take) as well, and the two brands that came up winning on my list are Coopertone and Hawaiian. Any thoughts?

I never heard of P20, but I will check it out on Amazon. Thanks again!

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 7
5. Re: Sunscreen Recommendation

We buy Coppertone (I LOVE the smell...smells like summer to me)......SPF 45 and up. I'm fair skinned and have never gotten a burn. Make sure you get the water resistant one as the regular one washes off pretty quickly. Also, put it on about a 1/2 hr before you go in any water. I use the L'Oreal face sunscreen for my face.........never burned. But if I get it too close to my eyes it burns like crazy, even though it says it won't burn your eyes.

Happy travels!

Regina, Canada
reviews: 15
6. Re: Sunscreen Recommendation

FWIW, try to use a reef safe sunscreen if you are going in.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
7. Re: Sunscreen Recommendation

Coppertone, Hawaiin and many others use chemical blockers

Not safe with infants and banned in MX waterparks (likely will irritate some )

Agree with Tiedieguy

Neutrogena and Loreal are likely safer

try this thread for more info

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g499445-i9177-k383…

Pacific Northwest
8. Re: Sunscreen Recommendation

My family has been using Coppertone Oil Free SPF30 (white bottle) for years. Very little smell, goes on smoothly and lasts for hours. According to WebMD: “SPF15 product blocks about 94% of UVB rays; an SPF30 product blocks 97% of UVB rays; and an SPF45 product blocks about 98% of rays. After that, it just gets silly."

Avon, Connecticut
reviews: 7
9. Re: Sunscreen Recommendation

I use Coppertone Sport in both 50 and 30 SPF. I also bring along the Neutrogena Dry Touch SPF 30 (just discovered it for my last trip), as well as a clear spray (can't remember the name but the brand is Coppertone) that you can apply when wet. Just make sure you pack more than enough. We met a couple when we were at SMB last week that had forgotten to pack any at all and spent $50 on 2 bottles in the gift shop!

Chicago, Illinois
10. Re: Sunscreen Recommendation

Wow, great info!

I just came across NO-AD Sunscreen Lotion SPF 45, which has good reviews. Has any of you tried it?

Reply to: Sunscreen Recommendation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted