We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIU Palace Mexico

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Byron, Minnesota
reviews: 4
RIU Palace Mexico

Just a couple of questiopns about the Riu Palace Mexico.

1.) Do they still assign you an evening dinner time? In the past when we have stayed at a Riu we were given a time of either 6:30 or 8:30 to eat at the buffet. Just wondering if this is still what they do.

2.) Is it ever a problem booking a reservation in one of the specialty restaurants???

3> How is the beach bar service as far as getting served as you are on the beach?? Do they offer this?

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 17
1. Re: RIU Palace Mexico

Buffett is open seating at any time. The other restaurants do book up but the later seating time usually has openings. They sometime bring drinks and soft drinks to the beach but do not have waiters on the beach but do have a bar about 1/2 way up the beach for drinks. Hint: bring a large insulated cup and they will make your drink in it to avoid trips to the bar. Order liquor by brand name to avoid the cheap stuff.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 42
2. Re: RIU Palace Mexico

1) The two seating times listed are for specialty restaurants. The main buffet is open from 6:00-10:00 PM. There is always seating available at the main buffet with no advance assigned times.

2) The Krystal tends to fill all their available slots early, but you can book out 2 days in advance so it is not that big of a problem. Also depends on occupancy of the resort.

3) Servers carry a tray of drinks around on the beach area by the palm trees, but I do not think they will take drinks out onto the public beach by the water.

B.C. Canada
reviews: 13
3. Re: RIU Palace Mexico

The beach bar I think Swami was referring to is gone as the pools and bars are now much closer to the actual beach than they were before. If you asked the server carrying the tray around nicely for a specific drink he might bring it. If he does don't forget to tip because that's above and beyond. Couple years ago I asked him if he had lemonade, didn't. About 15 minutes later he came back with one for me, wasn't carrying any other drinks. I was very embarrassed because I had no money with me to tip him. It was our last day so never saw him again.

Chicago, Illinois
4. Re: RIU Palace Mexico

Bob my favorite beach bar is gone! Next thing you will tell me is everything is purple.

B.C. Canada
5. Re: RIU Palace Mexico

Nope, mauve. lol

Byron, Minnesota
reviews: 4
6. Re: RIU Palace Mexico

Can you give me any room suggestions or an address to email them to request a room closer to the beach??

Chicago, Illinois
7. Re: RIU Palace Mexico

resort is built in a u shape. not that big only a few minute walk from beach to any room. find email address at riu.com. ask for a room on the second floor over looking the fountains.

B.C. Canada
8. Re: RIU Palace Mexico

sadiepuppins, did you book standard or Superior Jr Suite? If the latter send me a private message with your email address and I'll send you a map of the resort showing room #'s and which are good and which aren't. Swami, when you say 2nd floor do you mean rooms starting with 2 (top floor) or the middle floor? Top would be best because nobody above you and all see through balconies. But some rooms don't have a roof. Most, 2/3rds, middle floor rooms are solid wall balcony.

Edited: 3:29 pm, April 23, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 33
9. Re: RIU Palace Mexico

1.) Do they still assign you an evening dinner time? In the past when we have stayed at a Riu we were given a time of either 6:30 or 8:30 to eat at the buffet. Just wondering if this is still what they do.

** the main buffet has no set seating time. It's just open for general seating, both indoors and out.

2.) Is it ever a problem booking a reservation in one of the specialty restaurants???

** The resort wasn't at full capacity last week so we had no issues at all. Going right at or a little bit before 8am, we encountered a little bit of a line (went by super fast), but coming between 8:30am onwards, there was no line at all and were always able to get the times we wanted. Seating times for the steakhouse and Mexican were 6:30 and 8:30pm and the Japanese and Krystal fusion were 6:30 and 8:45pm

3> How is the beach bar service as far as getting served as you are on the beach?? Do they offer this?

** There is beach service. The waiters come around with lots of drinks on a tray (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic). They are VERY accommodating if you desire something that they don't have on the tray. I agree, tip when possible.

10. Re: RIU Palace Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:19 am, April 24, 2013
Edited: 8:19 am, April 24, 2013