We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding affordable accomodation for one person

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
reviews: 2
Finding affordable accomodation for one person

Hi folks,

I'm travelling to area at end of April was supposed to be with someone else but just on my own now, Im booked into the GBP but would like to have some time in Playa as think the GBP will be too family and couple focused for me to cope with for 2 weeks. Going to try to be in Playa from 1st to 10th May.

Just a few questions if people could help

Is it a good place for a solo traveller?

Is it easy to find reasonably priced accommodation? Any suggestions would be great.

also some suggestions for inexpensive places to eat, drink would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

David

Long Island, New...
reviews: 31
1. Re: Finding affordable accomodation for one person

We stay at Playa Maya right on the beach, rooms start at $100 a night and they give a discount for a seven night stay. Playa also provides a full American breakfast each morning. Wawa Beach bar, and Carboncitos are inexpensive places to eat and drink.

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Coba
reviews: 11
2. Re: Finding affordable accomodation for one person

There are tons of inexpensive places to stay and eat. I stayed in a beautiful hotel for $45 per night during high season! One block from beach, in central location. Our cheapest meals came from small-familly owned businesses, food carts, and the grocery store. I consider Carboncitos mid-range for my budget :) but do go there for lunch. Try Java on calle 10 between 5th and 10th for fairly inexpensive breakfast. You can also go to the store and get pastries, fruit, etc. As a rule of thumb the farther you are from 5th ave., the lower the prices. Read the Top Questions for "Cheap Eats" and "Budget Hotels" to give you some ideas.

Glasgow, United...
3. Re: Finding affordable accomodation for one person

Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate all the help. I think cormac55 price range per night is more suited. As I said on orginal post Im based in GBP to start so do you think i would be able to just take my bag and get a hotel when I get to playa or would I have to prebook? Is it cheaper to get hotel whilst there or to get one before?

David

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Coba
4. Re: Finding affordable accomodation for one person

David-most hotels will be lower priced in low season. Maybe restaurants follow suit. Don't know how long you're planning on staying-many have a minimum nights rule (3?) but not all do. Someone else will have to clue us in aboout reservations (again-necessary in high season-maybe not in low).

I sent you a PM.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya
reviews: 6
5. Re: Finding affordable accomodation for one person

"Im based in GBP to start so do you think i would be able to just take my bag and get a hotel when I get to playa"

I'm a bit confused by this statement. Do you mean you'll be staying at GBP but plan on spending a few nights staying at a hotel in Playa? If so, be aware that GBP may not let you leave the resort with your luggage unless you check out. If you plan on maintaining your room at GBP (i.e. leaving at least some of your stuff there), staying in PdC for a few days and then returning to GBP, you'll want to ensure that GBP knows what you're doing. If they see that your room hasn't been slept in for several days, it's possible they'll alert the authorities and perhaps report you as a "missing person".

If you already have reservations (and have paid) at the GBP, then I'd politely suggest you go there are see how it feels. Whilst I'll grant you that it's not usually the first resort I think of for singles, it's not an adults only resort - which tend to be a lot more couples oriented - and you may well find it's not as uncomfortable as you're expecting. If you really can't handle the vibe, then check out your options for a hotel in PdC and move there. The end of April isn't the peak of season but it is still fairly busy. Your choices may be a bit limited but I feel sure there'll be "room at the inn" for you somewhere.

Good luck and happy travels!

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Coba
6. Re: Finding affordable accomodation for one person

I think I understand-"they" were booked but now it seems only David will be going so wants to change destination. Playa is excellent for singletons :) Lots to do, see, restaurants to try, galleries, shops, beaches, lounges.

I consider it a great place for "meeting" people whether for just a short conversation or a vacation friend to meet up with a few times for dinner, etc.

But back to Llisa's comments: if you move altogether have you thought about your deposit, etc?

Walkerton, Canada
reviews: 13
7. Re: Finding affordable accomodation for one person

You can check out Xtudio hotel on 5th Ave, near the 7-11. It's about $50 a nite and each room has it's own kitchen. Clean and comfy too. Get a room at the back away from the noise of the street.

Glasgow, United...
8. Re: Finding affordable accomodation for one person

I have already paid for my vacation in GBP well for two peoples vacation actually and as of yesterday Im having to go alone so dont have to worry about deposit but do not really want to spend 2 whole weeks on my own at the moment in a large resort would rather be in a town for some of the time to sample a different more vibrant atmosphere. thanks for the concern Llisa i will be sure to inform either reception or my tour rep

David

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya
reviews: 6
9. Re: Finding affordable accomodation for one person

At the risk of asking the obvious, is there anyone else you could bring along on vacation with you? I get the feeling that you're going alone due to the end of relationship and realize that can be difficult ..... but perhaps two weeks with a pal might be very therapeutic for you.

I'm just trying to think of a way to salvage what you've already paid for.

Whatever you decide, I really hope you enjoy yourself.

Glasgow, United...
10. Re: Finding affordable accomodation for one person

Im afraid not, mostly everyone else I know are working unfortunately but thanks for the concern llisa. I suppose I should be positive in the fact that I get to have 2 weeks away from rainy windy Scotland and im sure I will enjoy it if I have the right attitude