We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westjet

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Westjet

We are traveling with westjet for the first time, what type of amenities do they offer on the flight over to Cancun from Winnipeg? We would normally travel itch sunwing but unfortunately no direct flights at this time of the year!

Our flight is at 6am have to be at the airport at 3(omg) don't want to be completely famished by the time we arrive at our final destination of Sandos Caracol in Playa Del Carmen.

Regina, Canada
reviews: 15
1. Re: Westjet

Not much, snacks and sandwiches for $, Free soda and cookies or bits and bite. remember your credit card as they do not take cash.

Here is their menu...

westjet.com/pdf/travel/basics/130402-Apr-May…

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
2. Re: Westjet

We try to bring on Tim Horton's food (if open)

Or bring your own snacks/fruit

Winnipeg, Canada
3. Re: Westjet

Certainly not like the other carriers. Sunwing has champagne flights with full meal service, how sad!

Edmonton
reviews: 14
4. Re: Westjet

you can check in online 24 hours prior and pick your seats and print your boarding pass, so maybe you only need to get to the airport 2 hours prior if you want. We do two hours if we've printed our boarding passes. They also have no inflight entertainment once you cross the US border, so bring magazines or tablet or something to keep you entertained. The good thing though is I think their seats are more comfortable with a little more room. I enjoy flying them (except for the no inflight entertainment anymore over the US, can't wait until they sort that out).

Winnipeg, Canada
5. Re: Westjet

Certainly not like the other carriers. Sunwing has champagne flights with full meal service, how sad!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya
reviews: 6
6. Re: Westjet

First things first. Check what time check-in opens at Winnipeg. If the desk isn't manned until 4 am, there's no point in getting there hours beforehand, especially if you've prebooked your seats. If you haven't pre-booked your seating, then you might want to get their before 4 - the closer to the front of the check-in line you are, the better your odds of getting decent seats.

If Winnipeg is like Calgary, check-in often opens earlier than Security - which means you may be in for a bit of a wait. On the bright side, you'll be at the front of that line up too!

As with most airlines, there's not a ton of "service" in the air. They'll start with a beverage service - free coffee, tea, juice and pop and a choice of cookies or Bits 'n' Bites. Then they'll come around with the food options - which you have to pay for (and it's not cheap). The food they offer isn't that great and we now prefer to hit up a Subway before we get on the plane - at least then it's nice and fresh and has exactly what we want in it. Booze is offered at some point too but I can't recall exactly at when. I remember thinking that wasn't particularly expensive but they have a VERY limited selection (no dark rum).

No blankets or pillows are provided, so if you want 'em bring your own. (Tip: I always travel with a pashmina - you can scrunch/roll it into a pillow, use it as a blanket or, if you're slop like me, use it as a giant bib when your eating your sandwich, so all the crumbs go on it, no you. When you get to your destination, you can wear it as a pashmina [wrap] in the evenings if it's a little chilly.)

Most of the Westjet planes have TVs in the seatbacks and every flight I've been on, we've ended up getting the PPV movies for free. However, on my last Westjet flight (which was from the US, not Mexico), we were apparently on a brand new plane that had not yet been fitted with TVs. That was a pretty boring flight!

At the risk of telling you something you already know - I'd suggest you go to the Westjet website and check their baggage weight and size restrictions - being over either one can be very expensive.

When you arrive in Cancun, you'll find the Westjet rep waiting for you OUTSIDE in the fresh air, look for them over to the left-hand side. When I went on a Westjet package last year, our ground transfers were with Best Day, so after checking in with the rep, we were directed to the Best Day guys. Eventually, we were shephered onto a small van (8 people) and whisked off to our resort. Best Day will tell you that you have to attend a "meeting" with the on-site rep the next day. This is where they will tell you what time you're being picked up to go home .... and they will also try to sell you their tours. Not wanting to spend valuable vacation time listening to this guy's spiel, we told him politely but in no uncertain terms, that we just wanted to know the return time. (We added in that we'd been to this area lots and didn't need his "help".)

Our return pick up was about 15 minutes late - we still got to the airport in time but I was just about at the "should we get a taxi?" stage when they showed up.

Cancun airport is notorious for bogus excess baggage charges. I travel with a luggage scale and ensure I'm always well under. If you do get nailed with charges, do NOT pay with cash (too easy for the agent to pocket which is, I think, the idea). Insist on paying with a credit card and get a receipt. If you believe that the charge was unfounded, you then have something to argue with when you get back to Winnipeg.

Hope this helps and happy travels. I love Westjet; they're definitely my airline of choice.

Vancouver
reviews: 25
7. Re: Westjet

What llisa said

;)

Except we are about to board sunwing :)

Edited: 11:37 am, April 06, 2013
Edmonton
8. Re: Westjet

WJ is my choice as well. I misspoke when I said no inflight enterainment. I meant no seatback TV with all the channels they have once you cross the border or shortly after. I loved WJ because of this (Nickelodeon, Treehouse for the kids), but since their issues, they are giving free PPV movies as Llisa said. I like the TV channels. They have not decided 100% what they are going to do for the new stuff, so I presume that's why Llisa's last flight was not outfitted yet. I am flying them on Thursday, so will ask what their plans are for next season.

I much prefer them to Sunwing or Transat though, so I think you're lucky:)

PS: Last I flew their liquor was $6/drink.

Regina, Canada
reviews: 15
9. Re: Westjet

married11, I believe their plans are to offer a tablet computer with movies and games downloaded to it for $ .

Edmonton
10. Re: Westjet

That's too bad, I loved having live TV for free... My kids will be wanting the tablets for sure.lol