We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top Three Reasons for PDC vs. Cancun

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
reviews: 1
Top Three Reasons for PDC vs. Cancun

My wife just booked at week at Riu PLayacar for mid April (First Time to Mexico in 15 years - Acalpulco '89). We are in our early 30s and I would enjoy the crowded club scene while she's looking forward to quality time together. Can someone help me understand the major differences between the two? I want to spend 4 days in PDC and 3 in Cancun.

PS It seems this type of post doesn't usually get much

attention (i'm trying to do my homework)

PSS - Candylady - your the BEST

Springfield...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
reviews: 14
1. Re: Top Three Reasons for PDC vs. Cancun

Hi there....we have the same dilemna...my husband prefers a more laid back place and I like the party scene, so we divide our trip between Playa and Cancun. Don't get me wrong, there's nightlife in Playa and I like Playa for different reasons than Cancun. Playa offers the best restaurants, best shopping, you can walk everywhere, nice soft waves - just more casual atmosphere. Cancun just has an energy about it and I enjoy the resort we stay in...the Crown Paradise Club. It's an AI and have really good food with 5 ala carte restaurants. I like the atmosphere of a larger place and you get to meet people from all over...I'm a people person and my husband is a little shy, so I can sit at the bar or pool and meet people while he's reading a book or whatever. Also, if I want to go out to the clubs, I can go with people from the resort and feel perfectly safe and have fun while my husband can stay at the resort and not worry about me.

Does this help or totally confuse you? LOL

Philadelphia
2. Re: Top Three Reasons for PDC vs. Cancun

Thank you Candlady-you really are the best. My wife thinks that I only think that I want the club scene - I'm at that age where I still think I'm 21 (33). I guess my question is: Can I find places in PDC with alot of energy and excitement like a cancun club when I want it - versus - In Cancun can I find peace and quiet when I want it either relaxing on the beach or a quiet pub for a drink with conversation.

If my wife wins this argument (which she usually does), do you think I could get my fill of the club scene in two night trips to Cancun?

PS You've been so helpful - I've read most the discussions this weekend going back top Nov 04

UK
3. Re: Top Three Reasons for PDC vs. Cancun

I'm interested in this too... never been to Mexico

We (hubby) think we would like Playa cos' I think it's more picturesque, smaller buildings etc... but the nightlife of Cancun is attractive also.

Don't think we wanna do a split trip (tho we ususally do) and is it worth doing this. Can I have the best of both on Playa?

Springfield...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
4. Re: Top Three Reasons for PDC vs. Cancun

Nightlife in Playa....go to Senor Frogs or Carlos 'n Charlies for the "energy of Cancun partying"....when you get to Cancun, go to Margaritaville...not swarming with kids and you CAN have a conversation there. Do you win or does she??? ;-)

California
reviews: 8
5. Re: Top Three Reasons for PDC vs. Cancun

Haven't been to Cancun before, but we were very pleased with picking PDC over Cancun. PDC is much closer to the ruins, and also Xcaret and Xel-Ha for fun day trips. We also enjoyed the atmosphere: very European, great beach, and fun shops and restaurants along 5th Ave. While I believe Cancun has more of a "party" nightlife, there is still some of that in PDC. "Blue Parrot", "Senor Frogs", "Carlos 'n Charlies", "Captain Tutix", "Mambo Club" are all fun places in PDC, packed with lots of people. And there's plenty of bars to drink along 5th Ave. for a more casual atmosphere as well.

Personally, we were very pleased with our decision, as we were able to mix everything that we wanted to do (relaxation, quality time together, great resturants, and fun sight-seeing). We heard all these stories that Cancun was just way too much of a "major city" in the U.S., which we were trying to avoid, as we can experience alot of "club" action right here at home. And Cancun was more about just staying at your hotel all day and then partying hard at night. Can't say for sure, since I've never been before.

Just depends on what your tastes are. Good luck!

Kansas City
6. Re: Top Three Reasons for PDC vs. Cancun

My husband and I are traveling to Riveria Maya (right down the road from Playa) with 24 other couples in June. We are staying at an all inclusive (Aventura Spa Palace) but it doesn't have a beach per say, it has a lagoon. Therefore, it doesn't have volleyball on the beach. Are there any public beaches in Playa that have volleyball nets set up? We would like to do a day at Playa and play some beach volleyball. Thanks!

Philadelphia
7. Re: Top Three Reasons for PDC vs. Cancun

Thank you all.

Candylady - If I want to have fun down there regradless of where I stay - I'd BETTER let her win. Hopefully I'll be content with 1 (maybe 2) night excusrions into Cancun. The reference to the "big city" also put it in perspective. We're from Philly so we really don't want to be near a bustling city (or anything close) on this vacation.

By the way, Congratulations on a well deserved victory for the Pats over my "haven't won a championship in 45 years" Eagles.

Springfield...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
8. Re: Top Three Reasons for PDC vs. Cancun

TheO'Reilly....I was for the Eagles...used to live in Yardley.

Have a great time in Playa/Cancun...you'll like both, but you'll enjoy staying in Playa.