We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back From Playa

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kelowna, Canada
reviews: 38
Just back From Playa

Just got back from Playa - stayed at the Gran Porta Real (see review), used Edventures Tours (see review). It was wonderful staying at a resort located in town. After dinner each night we could go for a walk onto 5th avenue. Went to Cancun for the day and enjoyed the facilities and food of the sister hotel Gran Carib (nice hotel incredible beach). Used Westjet transfers (great service) from the airport. They provided a baby car seat to and from the hotel. Visited the open market in Cancun - prices are the same as 5th Avenue. Stayed away from the silver shops and instead bought silver pieces at the airport in cancun. Went to Cozumel for the day. This really was a waste. Cozumel is set up just for cruise ship people so they could stretch their legs - there really wasn't anything exciting about it (I mean the area in town). There are two Scotia Banks on 5th Ave and lots of ATMS. It was well worth the 10 days in Playa. Beautiful and hot weather, friendly and humble people. I can honestly say we didn't get harassed by time share or aggressive vendors at any time during our stay. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Mass
reviews: 8
1. Re: Just back From Playa

Did you go ziplining or to any parks?

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
2. Re: Just back From Playa

Given some recent reports, and the specific property/area you were in and your mention of walks in town on 5th, did you notice any issues with bad-smelling air?

reviews: 2
3. Re: Just back From Playa

Hi, were the walls as thin as the reviews stay ie was it noisy at night?

Kelowna, Canada
4. Re: Just back From Playa

No we didn't do any ziplining. Was a little concerned on how safe it would be so I made sure our kids stayed away from that.

Kelowna, Canada
5. Re: Just back From Playa

No there were no smells anywhere. Its a beautiful walk on 5th Avenue and surrounding areas. All the previous reports I read said the same thing and honestly we never smelled anything other than food, seaweed around some parts of the beach (where the boats are).

Edited: 10:03 pm, April 06, 2013
Kelowna, Canada
6. Re: Just back From Playa

In total we had 4 rooms - 3 junior suites and one standard. The 3 junior faced the road of the Royal Hotel and the standard faced the swim up pool. My teenage kids were in the room right next to ours and I never heard them at all. We never even heard any traffic street noise from the patio doors either. What we did hear twice like really early in the morning the cleaners pushing their carts on the tile floor. The staff work 24 hours a day to keep the place clean and enjoyable for all of us.

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
7. Re: Just back From Playa

"No there were no smells anywhere. Its a beautiful walk on 5th Avenue and surrounding areas. All the previous reports I read said the same thing and honestly we never smelled anything other than food, seaweed around some parts of the beach (where the boats are)."

Thanks very much!

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 96
8. Re: Just back From Playa

PlayaMaya

We just got back last week. We were all over 5th Avenue. Our hotel was on 16th just off 5th and we walked down the streets passing El Taj... Walking either the beach side or street side towards the pier and lounging at various clubs etc. Never did we smell anything out of the norm. I know there's been some talk about it but that was just our experience.

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
9. Re: Just back From Playa

Thanks to you, too, and great to hear!

10. Re: Just back From Playa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:25 am, April 07, 2013