We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Capri and Maroma: a side by side review

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Apex, North Carolina
reviews: 92
Secrets Capri and Maroma: a side by side review

We booked Secrets Capri for a week but 5 days into our vacation they asked us if we would've interested in spending our last 2 1/2 data at Maroma. They picked up the transportation, upgraded our room and gave us a voucher for 2 free nights at Capri that we can apply within a years time.

Beach: Maroma easily wins here. Perfect stretch if powder soft white sand, beautiful green blue water, and nice sandy bottom. Capris beach is fine but IMO not swimmable at this point in time but we heard this will be changing: dredging and new sand within the next 6 months.

Food: absolutely equal. A little more selection at Maroma, but it is a bigger resort. We thought the food at both places ranged from good to excellent. Loved Portofinos at Capri and Bordeaux at Maroma the best.

Rooms: our room at Capri was oceanview but it was FULL ocean view, absolutely spectacular. Jr suite at Maroma was nice but quite a walk to the pool/beach. Air conditioning in our room at Capri was much better as we could set the temp ourselves. At Maroma you could only lower it slightly and we both found it uncomfortably warm for sleeping.

Public areas: clean and well taken care if at both resorts. The grounds at Maroma are extensive and beautiful. At Capri it is much more compact but still nice. We also noticed that the indoor public areas at Maroma were really hot, such as bathrooms and the Internet cafe. Capri had good A/C everywhere.

Pools: Capri has 1 big pool. The pool bar side is about 6-8 degrees warmer than the other but didn't feel heated. We preferred it that way, being from the Northeast. The intimacy of the resort makes it easy to make friends and we met some great people to hang out with. Maroma is a bit more upscale and must people were friendly, but I have to say somewhat more pretentious. The lazy river concept at the pool at Maroma was wonderful; grab a float and a drink and go back and forth for a long time. Very relaxing!

Staff/service: the staff to guest ratio at Capri seemed better and therefore we got somewhat better service. This was especially noted at the pool and lounge areas. Service in the restaurants at both places were about the same: very good!

Entertainment: equal, as they rotate the evening entertainment at all the local Secrets resorts throughout the week.

Lastly, we thought both places were great and would return to either. The "vacation club" people at Maroma were much more aggressive than Capri, which was the only turn off.

Please feel free to ask any questions on thus forum or PM me. I would be happy to answer all inquiries, to the best if my knowledge!

Jupiter, Florida
reviews: 24
1. Re: Secrets Capri and Maroma: a side by side review

.Great information thank you. So I guess it would get down to price and maybe the beach. What I liked about Capri was the size and the fact that all guests were preferred plus the fact that it was about 2/3 the cost.

Jacksonville...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Secrets Capri and Maroma: a side by side review

What does preferred actually mean at SC? Since SC is all preferred but SMB it is an option. I booked SC for a 1 yr anniversary in July so I'm excited. I think the smaller size of SC convinced me, and of course the price. Our honeymoon in Cabo, we stayed at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica which is a small resort too, so it was nice having that staff to guest ratio.

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
reviews: 6
3. Re: Secrets Capri and Maroma: a side by side review

Sounds like the AC problem in the main building at Capri has been fixed. When we were there, it was terribly warm in all of the areas. It will be nice to see the beach when they are done.

Buffalo, NY
reviews: 8
4. Re: Secrets Capri and Maroma: a side by side review

Seems to me more and more tha SMB only gets rave reviews due to it's beach and perhaps is not worth the insane cost they charge per night. I've read more and more reviews where other secrets resorts are rated as high or higher in a lot of respects and even where other cheaper resorts are favored over SMB.

We are going to SBM in January but only because we got an amazing deal which is right around the cost of other cheaper AIs. I'm interested to see if SMB is REALLY worth what many are paying- 450 a night and up. We are paying 283 for a swimup.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 1
5. Re: Secrets Capri and Maroma: a side by side review

Just curious. What are they doing to the beach? Can you make room cooler or are temps preset. We had a problem with very noisy air cond before that didn't get cool in Punta Cana. They said they turned it down but we found it hard to sleep. Did you like the food?

Thanks for info,

GiGi in Chicago

Apex, North Carolina
6. Re: Secrets Capri and Maroma: a side by side review

Food at both resorts was good to excellent. Maroma has 2 additional restaurants but it is a bigger property. A/c at Capri was easily adjusted in the room and could be lowered quite a bit. Not so at Maroma; we were hot trying to sleep. If you are a beach person than Maroma can't be beat as it is gorgeous. They have a cool beach bar with swings instead if stools. I wouldn't pay a crazy amount of money more to go to Maroma, but I was glad we were offered the chance to experience it! I have no idea when the beach dredging and sand fill will be done; right now they are working on replacing the pier that was destroyed. I miss it already; back to work for this girl!

Chicago 'burbs
reviews: 22
7. Re: Secrets Capri and Maroma: a side by side review

That was very helpful. Thank you! :) We stayed at SMB last August and when we were looking for a resort for this summer, Capri was a strong contender, but the beach was the deal breaker. I'm an ocean swimmer and if the ocean isn't swimmable, it's not a resort I want to go to.

Cherry Hill, New...
reviews: 14
8. Re: Secrets Capri and Maroma: a side by side review

Don't have much significant to add. Stayed at both. Capri is much more sociable but never got in the ocean. sMB has The Most Beautiful beach I have ever seen! No problem w air or comfort at either resort though. Food was fabulous!!!

Boston, MA
reviews: 14
9. Re: Secrets Capri and Maroma: a side by side review

Have stayed at both a fews times. Capri also does not have a theater but uses a ballroom for their shows - if you like to go to the show SMB has a beautiful outside theater.

We like more dinner options at Maroma as well - they have a wonderful Mexican restaurant where Capri doesn't. Also Maroma offers outside seating at their restaurants where Capri only offers this for two of them.

Also the lobby bars are not comparable - Capri is very small with limited seating and no outside area - Maroma is much larger with an actual bar to sit at, lots of tables inside and outside. This is our favorite spot before and after dinner.

We loved Capri the best until we experienced Maroma -

Edited: 4:00 pm, February 25, 2013
Apex, North Carolina
10. Re: Secrets Capri and Maroma: a side by side review

Funny, I just read my original post and it looks like some idiot wrote it. Stupid iPhone spell correct! I agree with the other poster that Capri is friendlier. My husband and I are very social people so that appealed to us a lot. Others may prefer to keep to themselves (especially honeymooners) so they would like Maroma better, in that regard. We were very lucky to try both, plus offered 2 free days if we return next year!