We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Mexico

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
First Trip to Mexico

Hi. I am thinking of taking a trip to Mexico from NYC. I'll be traveling solo, and am a 47 year old man. I'm a teacher, so my date range is from March 16-March 26.

1. Is Playa del Carmen a good place to go?

2. Is Cancun better?

3. I'm guessing this is spring break time. Will there be a way to avoid the crazieness, or it is what it is?

4. any other recommendations?

Thanks

Grosse Ile, Michigan
reviews: 34
1. Re: First Trip to Mexico

I think Playa Del Carmen is a great place to go. If I were a 47 year old man traveling solo, I would definitely want to be in an Adults only resort. If I were a 47 year old man traveling solo over spring break I would definitely stay away from Cancun. I would think an adults only within walking distance to PDC would be the best, or stay at a small hotel in PDC. Have Fun :)

Brandon, Canada
2. Re: First Trip to Mexico

Playa for sure StuQ.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
3. Re: First Trip to Mexico

You have a large town / small city in Playa

Small towns in Puerto Morelos, Puerto Aventuras (more of a gated american area), Akumal, Tulum (famous 5 + mile beach)

And lots of resorts between

Do you like to explore , eat everywhere - then I would not get an AI but stay at one of these towns

What are your requirements???

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
reviews: 58
4. Re: First Trip to Mexico

Playa for sure and there is no need to stay in an adults only all inclusive. You will meet plenty of adults on the beaches, bars, restaurants and night clubs.

From NYC, there are a lot of non-stop flights to Cancun, so you have less expensive flights than to a lot of other Caribbean destinations. Check Jet Blue, American, etc.

Puerto Morelos is another good option if you want something less built up than Playa (which has Starbucks and Illy, but still not like Cancun)

suitcaseready.com

Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 11
5. Re: First Trip to Mexico

If you are traveling solo, I would recommend a non-AI hotel in an area with a lot of bars, restaurants and beach clubs. I'd steer clear of adults only AI resorts (lost of couples and groups) or secluded resorts.

Playa Del Carmen is a good choice. I think Isla Mujeres is a better choice. Both have walkable tourist areas with lots of dining options. Isla Mujeres is much smaller and a bit cheaper.

You can't find a place like Bally Hoo (restaurant) in Playa. It is a small restaurant located on a dock behind a gas station. You can sit there, chill with a cerveza, eat awesome fish tacos and read. Your view - fishing boats bobbing in the water and pelicans diving for food. Playa is cool but Isla feels a little more like paradise to me and it has more mindless diversions than Playa. Just my opinion.

Puerto Morelos also has that laid back vibe but there are more dining options on Isla.

alberta
reviews: 45
6. Re: First Trip to Mexico

Hey I just replied to you on the Cabo forum. If looking to avoid spring break craziness, stay away from Cancun. I would also look into staying at a small hotel ( Playa Maya) comes to mind that is non AI. That way you can get out and sample all of the great restaurants and fun bars easily. It is such a wonderful area.

Fredericton, Canada
reviews: 17
7. Re: First Trip to Mexico

I would vote for the smaller A1 AO resort easier to meet and mingle. One of the highlights of my vacation is meeting fun loving friendly people. Depends on your budget, whether you want R&R, good food, nice pools and beach etc like walking or running on the beach, close to the action if you want it...

A little more info on what you are looking for in a vacation will help posters assist you in perhaps narrowing your options.

8. Re: First Trip to Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 12, 2014