We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning about ATMs

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Queanbeyan...
reviews: 141
Warning about ATMs

I had my travel debit card emptied out by three (unauthorised) withdrawals at two ATMs in 10th St days after I had left Mexico. I recall I had been trying to get USD from ATMs the last night I was there and can only assume one of the machines I used was bugged or whatever they do to get one's details. So I have lost a considerable portion of my travel spending money. I had forgotten about the advice to use ATMs in a bank or with a security guard. I won't forget again!

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 28
11. Re: Warning about ATMs

Used the HSBC machine at the HSBC in PDC and no problems. I try to bring enough $ so that I don't need to but the fee was reasonable considering.

reviews: 2
12. Re: Warning about ATMs

That is crazy. I checked to see what the withdrawl amount was and decided not to withdrawl because I had a bad feeling. I will check my account ASAP. Thanks for the warning.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
13. Re: Warning about ATMs

because I had a bad feeling.

Tophill - where are you from

Your post is confusing (decided not to withdraw / will check my account)

Las Vegas, Nevada...
reviews: 8
14. Re: Warning about ATMs

I never use the random little free standing ATMs. I have always used Santander in the bus station and never had a problem infact I got an amazing exchange rate :) sorry about your bad luck.

Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 17
15. Re: Warning about ATMs

Another thing I always do it give my bank and CC people the dates that I will be in Mexico and make sure they note them on my account.

I have uaed both my ATM and a CC in Playa, ATM always at a bank attached machine and my cc only at Mega or the hotel I'm staying in.

I also change my password on a regular basis.

16. Re: Warning about ATMs

Canada. I didn't withdraw cash due to a large amount and also heard some stories about bugging atm machines on Playa Del Carmen.

Prince Albert...
reviews: 13
17. Re: Warning about ATMs

I've used my debit & credit card in Playa for the past three years (only used ATM's attached to the banks) without any problem. On the other hand, in the past 4 years my credit card number has been compromised twice, both times in Canada!!!

Queanbeyan...
reviews: 141
18. Re: Warning about ATMs

Thanks for the comments. I am very glad to say my bank refunded the money promptly with no questions asked! I have changed the pin on my other card and will be more aware in future of using bank attached ATMs wherever I am.

minneapolis, mn
19. Re: Warning about ATMs

I use the Scotia ATM on 5th and Juarez and the HSBC at Chedraui all the time. However, I have a separate account for my withdrawals. I keep a small amount of money in there ( <$100) and then transfer the amount I want to withdraw just prior to going to the ATM. If anyone gets my info, they are not going to get much money.

I use this card all the time since debit card fraud is rampant throughout the world, not just Mexico.

I don't use the cards with a chip. In fact I punch a whole through it if I get one. That makes it really easy to steal my info!!

Trail, Canada
20. Re: Warning about ATMs

There was quite a long running thread about Scotia bank cards not working correctly at Mexican Scotia banks on the Puerto Vallarta forum , including a D.E. for that area who lives there and whose card worked well at other banks but not at her own . The problems seemed different for different customers . I did see a PDC post a while back with similar Scotia bank concerns but no fraud involved . I'm sure Atm fraud goes on in Clevland and Moose Jaw but I hardly ever read those forums to know . Cheers