We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging CAD at RIU Palace Riviera Maya

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, ON, CANADA
reviews: 3
Exchanging CAD at RIU Palace Riviera Maya

Just got a message from my travel agent subsequent to my booking that RIU does not exchange USD; does this impact CAD?

Can anyone tell me what the CAD rate is currently?

I'll be going on Jan 9th.

Thanks.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
1. Re: Exchanging CAD at RIU Palace Riviera Maya

Many places in the Toronto area provide pesos at 12.5 and above

ATMs in MX provide great rates at 12.7 and above

Hotels - 12 to 1 is a good rate -otherwise a ripoff

You are just asking now??

Toronto, ON, CANADA
reviews: 3
2. Re: Exchanging CAD at RIU Palace Riviera Maya

Thanks!

I"m not "just asking now", I do have an idea of the ballpark. However, I should clarify my Q - what's the current rate at the HOTEL?

Thanks for your info.

Edmonton
reviews: 14
3. Re: Exchanging CAD at RIU Palace Riviera Maya

I'm in Edmonton, but usually take about 3000 pesos from the Edmonton airport and can get it in any denomination and there is no fee if over 1 or 2 hundred (not sure as I always get more). If not, there are ATM's all over, hotels usually offer one of the worst rates. Depending on how you're getting to the hotel, you can also ask your driver to stop at the ATM on the way, or there are ATM's in Playacar, many different ways.

The no US$ thing does not affect them changing CA$, but don't know the current rate at the Riu. Was just at the Iberostar Grand and their rate was not great but the airport was better, sorry I can't recall the exact rate, but it was about 12.5 at the airport and more like 11 something at the hotel.

May as well get it before you leave or straight from an ATM.

Enjoy your trip.

Vancouver
reviews: 25
4. Re: Exchanging CAD at RIU Palace Riviera Maya

The rprm has an atm in their lobby that will take your cdn bank card. Thisll give a better rate than the hotel can/will give. Take out a bunch then break down the larger bills at the front desk.

But i dont think the rate that the hotel was horrible or anything....a couple points off...say the going atm rate was 12.8-1, cambios 12.3-1 and hotel 11.3-1.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 11
5. Re: Exchanging CAD at RIU Palace Riviera Maya

Go to oanda.com for the latest currency exchange, they also have an area there where you can print out a page that will give you a wallet size card with what each C $ is worth in pesos and vice versa. As for exchanging Cdn $'s into US and then to pesos you'll get hit for both conversions. Earlier this month went to a currency exchange place here and got all the Mex $ 20's and 50's I wanted. Cost was Cdn $3 and change for exchanging Cdn $ 500. Came back with some pesos but just kept them for my trip back next month. The Mexican Government won't let hotels convert US $'s due to the money laundering issue. If you choose to use an ATM in Playa, make sure it's a bank affiliated one as some of the street stand-alones aren't trustworthy.

B.C. Canada
reviews: 17
6. Re: Exchanging CAD at RIU Palace Riviera Maya

At the RPM a couple weeks ago, don't know why the RPRM would be any different, they were giving around 11.5 : C$1. Before I headed down I got my pesos at BMO and they were 12.1: C$1 including their charges.

7. Re: Exchanging CAD at RIU Palace Riviera Maya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 04, 2014