We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Fishing option for 6-10 ppl -- Rick/Ivan/Roberto ????

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg
reviews: 20
Best Fishing option for 6-10 ppl -- Rick/Ivan/Roberto ????

Hello,

It's my wedding next month (staying Jan 13th-20th) and I'm looking for the best option for a larger group of people to go fishing. hoping to bring out all of the guys travelling for the wedding and I wanted some feedback on which Fishing Company will likely offer the best fishing experience/catching?

I have an email in with Roberto Navarro, but the info I've found on this forum suggests he does smaller group tours only, although I hope that is wrong. He seems to be highly recommended.

The other two choices i see coming up are Captain Rick or Ivan, and I already have an email by from Glenda with Captain Rick. Very quick to reply which is appreciated.

the goal of the trip is simply to catch fish. whatever is in season.

any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Winnipeg
reviews: 1
1. Re: Best Fishing option for 6-10 ppl -- Rick/Ivan/Roberto ????

I did a fishing trip a few years ago with Captain Rick. I think we had 6-7 people on the boat. Didn't catch much only a Barracuda that fought like a log. The Captain and his mate did the best they could to get us to the fish At the end of the day it was a nice boat ride with a great view of the coast :)

GTA
reviews: 34
2. Re: Best Fishing option for 6-10 ppl -- Rick/Ivan/Roberto ????

I've done multiple trips in the area. My best times and catches are at puerto morelos el cid marina. Book a private tour and on a 30+ foot boat and your set. I did this with only two of us. Awesome. Caught a 50 lb wahoo.

Check out all the options. elcid.com/sporting_activities/aries_fleet.ht…

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
reviews: 7
3. Re: Best Fishing option for 6-10 ppl -- Rick/Ivan/Roberto ????

Here is a picture of Roberto's boat and his excellent reviews.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150812-d241…

Hopefully, he can find a bigger boat:-)

Check with Marco your first day in Playa and he will arrange everything for a party of 8 for later in the week.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
reviews: 38
4. Re: Best Fishing option for 6-10 ppl -- Rick/Ivan/Roberto ????

My husband has gone with Captain Ricks a few times and swears by them. Nice boats, great crew and always good fish catching.

He just took 12 of our friends for our wedding on their biggest boat and they all loved it. He even got a fun t shirt because he was the groom :)

Edmonton
reviews: 21
5. Re: Best Fishing option for 6-10 ppl -- Rick/Ivan/Roberto ????

Don't have any great hopes for fishing in January. It's likely going to be too early for billfish (marlin and sailfish) and mahi mahi. You will likely catch some barracude and possibliy bottom fish if you do some jigging.

I haven't fished with Roberto Navarro but his website looks good. However, if you going out with a larger group it's probably best to book a charter with Captain Ricks.There are worst ways to spend a few hours.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
6. Re: Best Fishing option for 6-10 ppl -- Rick/Ivan/Roberto ????

Sailfish Excellent March - July

Very Good July - August

Fair September - February

Dorado Excellent April - June

Very Good July - September

Blue Marlin Good March-October

Fair October-February

White Marlin Excellent May-June

Very Good July

Barracuda Excellent All year long

Wahoo Excellent All year round

Tuna Excellent All year round

Reef fish (snapper, jack, grouper, sea bass etc) Excellent All year round

Edmonton
reviews: 21
7. Re: Best Fishing option for 6-10 ppl -- Rick/Ivan/Roberto ????

This is a great summary of the expectations for fishing in the Mayan Riviera. I agree with what you have written except for the suggestion that fishing for wahoo is excellent all year round. I have never caught a wahoo or seen that many caught. In contrast, during my charter earlier this year I caught multiple mahi mahi, sailfish and a tuna.

Just curious as to what would you would consider "excellent" fishing for wahoo to be. Have you experienced this yourself and can you recommend any good charters/captains to target wahoo?

Thanks.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
8. Re: Best Fishing option for 6-10 ppl -- Rick/Ivan/Roberto ????

I got that chart from Captain Rick. This was the link.

Deep Sea fishing in Playa

playa.info/playa-del-carmen-info-deep-sea-fi…

It's no longer a direct link to Captain Rick, but he's still in business.

Edited: 5:11 pm, December 05, 2012
9. Re: Best Fishing option for 6-10 ppl -- Rick/Ivan/Roberto ????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, December 17, 2013