We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen vsThe Royal

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
reviews: 1
Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen vsThe Royal

Anyone been to the Royal Hideaway recently???I always go to the Royal and was thinking of trying something different, thoughts anyone!!!!

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 94
1. Re: Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen vsThe Royal

We just returned from Royal Hideaway Playacar and absolutely loved it! The food was just out of this world and the service is excellent. It's very different from the Royal though - very quiet and not busy - which we liked. We walked down the beach one day all the way to the Royal and then cut through the resort and walked back through town and, although I have always wanted to try the Royal, when we walked through it was so noisy and packed and the speakers around the pool were just so loud. We were glad when we got back to the peace and quiet of RHP. So it depends what you are looking for. A downside of RHP is that if you like ocean front or even ocean view rooms and listening to the waves at night most rooms are not ocean view. Our balcony was literally unusable because it backed right onto foliage separating us from the next resort which also made it very dark. Otherwise this resort is excellent!

Buffalo, NY
reviews: 8
2. Re: Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen vsThe Royal

The royal is louder, more activity, more people drinking etc. It's romantic too (IMHO) but RH will provide a relaxing romantic laid back feel ALL day, every day. It depends on what you want out of your trip.

Winnipeg, Canada
3. Re: Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen vsThe Royal

SunSeeker says "when we walked through it was so noisy and packed and the speakers around the pool were just so loud."

You make it sound like its a nightclub...they do play music but it is hardly loud. It is at a volume that you can clearly still talk to people around you without yelling. If you want to go to bluhair paradise where it is like a library it is nowhere I wanna be. The Royal is a true 5 star in every sense of the definition of 5 star. It has amazing service,great food,great restaurant selection(with no reservation required),top shelf liquor,amazing rooms with hot tubs in every room,true ocean front rooms. It is great but you have to choose whats important to you. If you wanna stay at a place where you can hear a pin drop then the Hideaway is for you.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 29
4. Re: Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen vsThe Royal

The last post does not properly describe the RH. It is not pin-drop quiet : there is a range of age groups, from newlyweds to seniors. It is more accurately described as casually elegant. It is not a party place. Typically RH reviewers have travelled to more than one place and have usually more than one review on TA. Contrast that with the majority of reviwers for the Royal. It appears to attract a different group than the RH. That is not to suggest that the either the RH or the Royal are not each wonderful places to stay; it depends on the type of holiday that you are looking for.

Edited: 6:41 pm, November 26, 2012
Wyckoff, New Jersey
5. Re: Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen vsThe Royal

Dear Sunseeker,

We are going to Royal Hideaway next week. Any suggestions??Can you please comment on the beach (water temperature and cleaniness), pools (are any of them heated), villa choices, best restaurants for dinner (how difficult is it to get a reservation at the desired restaurant/time?), temperature at night, bugs-are there a lot of mosquitos out?.

Thank you in advance.

B.C. Canada
reviews: 13
6. Re: Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen vsThe Royal

Link to the RH webcam, tells you lots about the beach. http://www.royal.collatio.tv/ Sea temp is around the 81F today, from the bellbuoy east of Cozumel so probably even warmer closer to shore. We stay at the resort a few away from RH and been there at this time for last 9 years. I've seen one mosquito during that time. myforecast.com/bin/expanded_forecast_15day.m… Looks like lows are going to be in the mid 70's which is warmer than it's been the last few years.

cape cod...
reviews: 20
7. Re: Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen vsThe Royal

Is there any shade on the beach? I see there are no palapas...

Weston, Connecticut
reviews: 9
8. Re: Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen vsThe Royal

I would also love to hear more about the beach - is it soft white sand?

B.C. Canada
reviews: 13
9. Re: Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen vsThe Royal

All those tent bed thingys are new, there used to be a few but not that many. And they seem to be out further than the beach police like to see. Sand is soft and does not get hot. webcamsdemexico.com/webcam-playa-del-carmen.… is a webcam closer to town but same beach.

Weston, Connecticut
reviews: 9
10. Re: Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen vsThe Royal

Thanks Bob, the previous link you posted wouldn't load for me.